Author Topic: Grey Knight rules question.  (Read 3689 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Grey Knight rules question.
« on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:01 PM »
Here is an email I was sent this morning:

Hey Chase,

Sorry to keep inundating you with questions, but I have one from the Grey Knights Codex that people can't agree on.  One of the upgrades you can take is a "pair of falchions" instead of the normal force sword.  The entry in the codex says they give you +1 attack.  Is that in addition to the +1 I'd get from having two close combat weapons, or is that the +1 that they're talking about.  I'd assumed it was in addition, or they wouldn't have bothered to put it in, but I wanted a rules update before the tournament (if at all possible).

Thanks,

xxxx

Obviously I have no idea what the answer is.  Please help.  :)
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Re: Grey Knight rules question.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
Sorry, I get the argument now. Lack of sleeping, just got back from adepticon.

The rule says "The wielder of a pair of Nemesis falchions has +1 attack" My guess would be that this is intended to count as 2 CC weapons together provide +1 attack because they can't normally do so. But there is room for argument with this one.

Tough call. Will have to look at the rule book tonight.

My gut is that by RAW it would give you +2.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:35:39 PM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:26:14 PM »
Wargear in question is on Page 54 of the codex, and it reads, "The wielder of a pair of Nemesis Falchions has +1 attack."

Quickly flipping through, it appears this upgrade costs between 5-15 points, depending on the model.

I believe the GKs get +1 attack total, not +2. Just a belief, not a hard fact. There won't be any hard facts until that beautiful FAQ lands. It would be really nice if GW started beta testing...

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:38:37 PM »
Fluff != Rules.

It gives you +1 attack.   So now you have 2.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:50:57 PM »
Beleive it or not GW does actually beta test or they did.

The issue is they don't listen to their Beta tester's.
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

NChomsky3d

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
Grey Knight's no longer have 2 close combat weapons. A storm bolter is a 2 handed weapon. So the standard GK has only 1 attack and 2 on the charge. With falchion's this is increased by 1 attack.

**Grey Knights use to have a special rule that allowed storm bolters to count as a pistol hence the extra attack, this rule no longer exists.

(Full disclosure, I sent the email).

I read this as getting +2 attacks total.  The wargear gives you +1 attack, and the game-wide rules for having two close combat weapons give you another.  If the rules were supposed to be +1 attack they could have left out the rule and had the extra attack come from two CCWs, or specifically put in a line about "this is in place of the +1 attack for having two ccws".  Those are my 2 cents.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
Fluff != Rules.

It gives you +1 attack.   So now you have 2.

This ^

You now have, essentially, the +1 attack normally for two CC weapons
Tiger's Den founding member

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
this could easily go either way. the notation about getting +1 attack could simply be due to purchaseing them as a single weapon upgrade. in most armies to get two weapons you purchase two weapons with the GK falchions you buy it once and despite being described as a pair they have to clarify of they actualy give the benefit of two weapons, in the same way that despite a twin linked weapon being two guns stuck together they only get one shot.

Serring

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 05:51:11 PM »
Doesn't it say "a pair of". I would assume it means that it counts as your two CC weapons and that is why it gives +1 attack. Besides is there any way to get those and two CC weapons anyway?

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:12:32 PM »
Great, even when GW writes a clear rule, it gets misunderstood.

Does the pair of falchions state that you count as having a second CCW, NO! It does not.  It is a weapon upgrade that gives you +1 attack.  IF they wanted you to have +2 attacks, it would state that it counted as having a second close combat weapon and gave an additional +1 attack.

Hopefully this is a sign that GW is taking a lesson from Privateer press.  by having less effects, and more ways to cause it = simple rules discussions.

Hey what does having a pistol in CC give you?  +1 attack.
Hey what does having a pair of nemesis falchions give you?  +1 attack.

Seems really simple to me.  "pair" doesn't mean anything in GW rule terms. It is likely so you can make bada$$ looking dudes with two swords modeled on them.

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »
Hey what does wielding a pair of lightning claws give you? +1 attack and rerolls
Hey what does wielding a pair of thunderhammers give you? +1 attack and Thunderhammer Bonus.

Big Rule Book two of the same special weapons grants +1 attack in addition to the weapons special bonuses. GK dex the Falchions special property is +1 attack. BRB+Dex=+2.

If analyzed from points perspective is +1 attack better in any capacity than a thunderhammer that is a force weapon with daemonbane that takes +str as multiplicative IE str4 GK +hammerhand is str5 with a daemon hammer hes Str10? Nope no contest.

Is 1 attack better than +2 initiative? Nope no contest

This definately requires a good solid faq'ing but RAW its +2 attacks total. Fluff wise is 50/50.

Im running GK this weekend and not running a single falchion but working to a clear resolution with the smart folks of BG community will help get this ruling correct on the local circuit.

Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »
Your ability to not cite properly does not help your case.  Also, inflamatory comments won't win you friends, either.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
As a side note, these are not "close combat weapons", they are "Nemesis falcions".

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »
Like Rich said, its nemesis falcions.  GW made wrote this edition to state that having a non-special secondary weapon did not give you bonus attacks with the special weapons.  Hence having a pistol and a power-fist only lets you attack with your profile attacks (plus charging attacks).  The pair specification is there to give you the benifit the bonus close-combat attack and the ability that goes with having a nemesis weapon.

Example: Hq with 1 attack on his profile wields the nemesis falcion and a pistol.  He has 1 attack in close combat plus the ignoring armor and instant death lovin of a force weapon.  Hq with 1 attack on his profile and a pair of nemesis falcions, 2 attacks plus the ignoring armor and instant death lovin of a force weapon.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/600/354378.page

Using the appropriated cited rules, please make your case.