Author Topic: Confusion?  (Read 2032 times)

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
Confusion?
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
Why does nobody take an iron priest with saga of the iron wolf?  for the 65 points you get a thunderhammer, can take 4 fenrisian wolves, repair your land raider, and make it move an additional +d3".

I guess I just don't understand space wolves like I thought I did...  It used to be you just take the codex and snap it in half, nowadays people just go all willy nilly.  ???

Am I really the only one who noticed how good this can be? You can touch the opponent's deployment zone turn 1 with a land raider.  :'(
Tiger's Den founding member

Destroys Hunter-Killers

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
Re: Confusion?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
why u so good?
A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.

Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
you can't touch a deployment zone turn 1.  24" no man's land.

12" move for the landraider + 2" deployment out of transport+ 3" for a good roll per the rule you referenced + 6" for a charge you get from the assault ramp= 23" a 1.000001" too short, because even if you hit the 24" mark you would still be unable to charge to the the fraction of an inch that would exist per the rule book.  You'd need at least a 25" movement to get it done.

Sorry Dave, you break failed.  As for why wolf players don't do this build?  I have not read that codex so I dunno.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:46:13 PM »
Competitively, Land Raiders don't hold up too well these days. Everyone has an answer. I don't see them often because they are too expensive and are too vulnerable against meltaguns! This saddens me as a CSM player (6 LRs @ 2000 pts, whee!), and overjoys me as a Daemons player.

Plus, with the Space Wolves, there are many more effective ways to spend that many points. I reference, well, the Internet.

I want to play competitively, and sometimes that stops me from playing what I want to play. Still not comfortable with that idea.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »
Ok, so it doesnt touch turn one, its d3 extra movement, a thunderhammer, and a vehicle repair for 65 points.  Where does this get outdoen in the elites? one eite slot for wolf guard, maybe a lone wolf or something, but theres no reason not to take one in my opinion.

It still is pretty useful and it barely interferes with your point total

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:23:06 PM »
O I agree Dave, 65 points is a bargain.  Is it an HQ choice or an elites choice though?  Because if it is an HQ, I see most people going with a special character or wolf priest in these armies.  It may not be the point cost as much as the slot it takes up.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »
Dave, try asking Troy, Murph, or some of the other more experienced players that use Space Wolves.

My guess would probably be similar to Ben's though, as they can probably allocate points more efficiently to other places.
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
It is an elite choice, which space wolves hardly ever use all 3 of.  One is typically wolf guard, another scouts, or somehing like that.  Not to mention the 4 fenrisian/cyber wolves they can take are always a great idea for points filler since you really arent losing an important model, however, the wolves cost nearly as much as a marine, so that is debatabe.

But 65 points in your elites? really, why couldn't you find the points?  It makes any vehicle have an extended threat range, repairs it, and adds 3 thunderhammer attacks the first round of combat almost always.

Another thing I notice is people putting mark of wulfen on thunderwolf calv instead of their grey hunters.  Why do they do this? 50% of the time you get no benefit, and it hurts you, where in grey hunters it is always a beneficial upgrade.

my brain done hurted itself agains   :-[

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »
Dave, try asking Troy, Murph, or some of the other more experienced players that use Space Wolves.

Asking murph about a model that is only effective in mechanized lists ???

Troy would have some good idea of why theyre not seen Im sure, as he typically mounts his army

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »
Dave,

There are a couple of points you are missing that make the Iron Priest not such a desirable unit especially to take on the ground.

1.  Iron Priest is an Elite unit that can not link up with any other units so he is on his own except for his retiune he is priced ok but the points can be used in better places mainly scouts or long fangs.  

2.  In no way would I ever want an Iron Priest to scream across the table and charge anything, mainly because his purpose is support not offensive weaponary.  To get him in hth is to LOSE a huge part of what this unit does repair!

3.  Iron Priest does not have an invulnerable and since he has a Thunderhammer he will go last in combat.

4.  Iron Priest can be MUCH more effective riding a Thunderwolf.

5.  D3 increased movement is nothing in the greater scope of Mechanized movement this only helps him get to what he is repairing faster.

6.  To make the Iron Priest an effective unit you would need to spend an additional 100 points and for 165 points there are much better units that I can take.

7.  The only time I would bring a Iron Priest would be in my Bjorn list which has 3 Dreads and 3 tanks and 6 rhons and so on, this would make the most use out of his skills.

I hope this helps and sheds a little light why Iron Priests are not a use all unit but a very situational unit.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:36:09 AM by Grimwulfe »
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:14 PM »
I missed the fact he did not have independant characer.  Fail on my behalf, now he sucks again  :-X

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »
i like chicken i like waffles , wait my chicken isnt a ic

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 09:43:17 PM »
I like ponies! Let's have the new codex be space ponies!

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 12:55:43 AM »
they can ride rainbows in which is jump marines