Author Topic: Really happy with gk codex  (Read 4674 times)

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
Re: Really happy with gk codex
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
To be honest, I am not all that afraid of them with Daemons oddly enough, they are extremely good but not unbeatable by any means. They have lots of nasty tricks against but I THINK I can manage.I think the only thing that will have a very very difficult time is obviously certain builds of Daemons and marines but as usual it all depends on the list and the player. The book is just a tool but you still have to know how to use it. 

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
When someone designs a basic trooper with a power weapon and power armor for a mere 20 points, you know someone was smoking crack when writing this.

Close Combat armies whether they are MEQ or not will fall to even the most basic of GK units with no recourse.  With units able to upgrade to Nemesis Halberds for paltry costs, you are looking at WS4/I6/S5(hammerhand able to be cast by every justicar) you are averaging out a 5 man unit killing 3 marines in basic combat before the marines strike, and then are afforded their armor saves vs the marines they did not kill.  This is not the GK charging but being charged, and not counting if their grand master gives them counter attack.

If not every close combat weapon wielded by the GK were power weapons, then this would be a fantastic codex.  However because everyone has power weapons, very niche armies (deathwing, cruicible DE, etc) will do well while the rest of the players will wonder what GW was thinking.

This codex is pure cheese that eclipses SW codex

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 02:27:13 PM »
Not many people have played a bunch of games with these guys never-mind make an all comers and bring them to a tournament...Only time till tell.

I remember seeing thousands of posts like this when the nids came out.

We will see.

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
When someone designs a basic trooper with a power weapon and power armor for a mere 20 points, you know someone was smoking crack when writing this.

Close Combat armies whether they are MEQ or not will fall to even the most basic of GK units with no recourse.  With units able to upgrade to Nemesis Halberds for paltry costs, you are looking at WS4/I6/S5(hammerhand able to be cast by every justicar) you are averaging out a 5 man unit killing 3 marines in basic combat before the marines strike, and then are afforded their armor saves vs the marines they did not kill.  This is not the GK charging but being charged, and not counting if their grand master gives them counter attack.

If not every close combat weapon wielded by the GK were power weapons, then this would be a fantastic codex.  However because everyone has power weapons, very niche armies (deathwing, cruicible DE, etc) will do well while the rest of the players will wonder what GW was thinking.

Spoken like one who is scared.  They are not the end all be all of codexes.  A normal MEQ army will be able to fair well  against them, the player will just need to play well.  As for HTH armies they also can do well but need to be much smarter on what they attack and get into. 

Overall the dex hassome good things but also some glaringly bad things.  So its a matter of if the general can overcome the them and take the day.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »

Spoken like one who is scared.  They are not the end all be all of codexes.  A normal MEQ army will be able to fair well  against them, the player will just need to play well.  As for HTH armies they also can do well but need to be much smarter on what they attack and get into. 

Overall the dex hassome good things but also some glaringly bad things.  So its a matter of if the general can overcome the them and take the day.

^ Agreed

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
Ah Bill you see this is just great.  I feel like Yoda whenever you confirm anything I say.  Just because you were the only kid our group ever let play with us and you have grown into a fine and smart general.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 03:49:49 PM »
I remember a couple of months back when people were saying

"Sanguninary Priest give FNP and furious charge to all units within 6' WTF this is a game changer and the BA's are broken"

to go into the way back machine:

"Swooping hawks get to drop a str 4 template on there opponent's before they land, broken"

Further back:

"Telescopic legs on a ork with a shock attack gun, what can stop that! WTF!"

and so the cycle continue's.....................
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 04:56:33 PM »
I remember a couple of months back when people were saying

"Sanguninary Priest give FNP and furious charge to all units within 6' WTF this is a game changer and the BA's are broken"

to go into the way back machine:

"Swooping hawks get to drop a str 4 template on there opponent's before they land, broken"

Further back:

"Telescopic legs on a ork with a shock attack gun, what can stop that! WTF!"

and so the cycle continue's.....................

I'm wondering how much of this GK talk is more of that and how much is actually justified.  To me, it seems that only the Space Wolves have lived up to their hype.

Interestingly enough, DE got almost no love when the book came out and have done well in our events (so far).

In other news, I opened the cover of the codex today.  The art on the inside is pretty cool, but that's about as far as I got.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »
DE codex was a wonky codex that alot of people didnt understand and didnt evaluate properly.  Thats why alot of the hype wasnt there.  Also its a niche army.

Youll see it alot more for a Space Marine codex because Space marines are a very popular army choice and alot more people are inclined to use them.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 05:16:47 PM »
There is something to be said about GW being unable to balance codecies properly.  They have been on this weird trend as of late. 

I've been playing this game since 2005 and have noticed the trend.  They do the power creep for a while, plateau and then start the creep again.  Xenos races tend to be part of the power plateau while the power armor armies tend to be part of the upward advance.

All the inarticulate 'sperging is because of the trend GW tends to follow.  Am I afraid of the GK codex?  Hardly.  Will it help choose who I play casually?  Probably.  Then again, this ability to think rationally has allowed me to not hate 40k.  Beer and pretzels all the way guys, it's little plastic men.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 05:59:56 PM »
This codex is why my marines are covered in hearts.

lol 40k.
beep bop boop

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »

Spoken like someone who has truely taken a huge chug of the GW Codex Koolaide.

If you seriously think a normal MEQ army will do well against the GK, you are in need of some serious help.  The entire army has Power Weapons, which changes the ENTIRE CLOSE COMBAT DYNAMIC.  People complained about the Sanguinary Priest giving anyone in 6 inches FNP and FC, and then realized they were a single wound T4 model with no invulnerable save and could be picked out in close combat.

Now I know you are going to bring out the "Well they only have maximum of 24 inches on their weapons".  Mounted your Psycannons have a 30 inch range and 2 shots a peice.  If your rhino does not move you have 4 shots with a Str 7 ap4 RENDING weapon.  This would be a minor issue if you had no way to get a unit near my deployment zone before the 2nd turn, however you will be seeing that "shunt" move teleporting a unit of somekind(Dreadknight, GKSS) within enough range to assault the next round.

I dont think teleporting is OP btw, esp since you cannot do it as a scout move(which some internet superstars still think is possible) and I think it adds a new element to the game which is fantastic.

All in All, the codex would be 100% perfect if the basic trooper was not given a freaking power weapon.  This is what I feel is the most ridiculous portion of the codex.  Everything else can be planned for, but when the shift in Close Combat is this huge, something is amiss.

Wes

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »
Thats 3 close combat armies in a row if you count DE, now a mostly 2+ army for my lack of ap2 not cc  Necrons to kill be slaughtered by.

I took my look in the codex and I almost died from seeing the powerweapons, but Its not that bad assuming they dont get to you.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
I think GW realized how much the meta tilted toward Shooting and may be overcompensating a bit with powerful Assault.

It's silly to me as a Daemons player that Grey Knights have close combat weapons that still allow my base invulnerable save.

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 09:37:55 PM »
Rick your woe is me attitude is priceless.  Keep up the good work I love the whine...

As for Shunt please take a look at this good article that explains why it is legal.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2011/03/goatboy-grey-knights-and-shunt-punch.html

Overall yes it makes hth much harder but it definitly isnt the end all be all of woe.  With a balanced army and some good old know how any army can do well against it.  Pick your fights keep your range and assault only when neccessary. 

A big balencing factor is the lack of attacks the GK get.  They dont get the extra attack so they are swinging alot less.