Author Topic: Apocalypse Megabattle 2011 Table Interactions  (Read 5390 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Apocalypse Megabattle 2011 Table Interactions
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 03:12:01 PM »
I feel that what cannot happen is that it turns into 5 separate games on 5 separate tables.  Otherwise it shouldn't be called a Megabattle.  To prevent that there must be dynamic ways that the tables interact and it should include being able to move between tables.
Actually, dynamic interactions do not necessitate moving between tables.

There can be tables with objectives. If you hold the objectives uncontested, you get to do something to another table / team / player. For example, if you hold an objective on one table, perhaps you can launch an orbital bombardment at any other table. Or an objective allowing another table's unit to reinforce back up to full. Stuff like that, fun but not ridiculous to track.

This is how we handled things last year, although I can't remember if it ever ended up happening or not.

I would expect to see more of this type of thing this year.  If anyone has any great ideas, make a thread about it.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »
Some good things going on here. Using the rules out of the book for some of the more inhospitible climates works. But I don't think having a "must where helmet" type rule is fair, orks can figure out how to breath in space, we'll take it as given.

It'll be easy to affect the main table based on the smaller tables  but not vice versa, as the large table is often slower. If the smaller tables fly by we can track effects for up coming planet turns. Heading the other way needlessly slows down the smaller tables.

If we have an attack system to bombard the main planet on the moon, fair play, but. It should be prepositioned. each side picks a target for each barrage, for each turn, the if they control the mechanism the shot goes off, and scatters appropriately.  We can then track the turns on the moon as normal, (they'll be quicker), and just play the effects on the relevant tables as we go along. For example, Firing mechanism controlled in Turn 2 by Chaos. Planet side table 1st shooting phase. Incoming on Chaos target for turn 3.

Things we need to be aware of, most armies have flyers that transport troops or other things, this effectively removes any ability to rest people to only their deployment zone. So just be prepared and have the team able to watch your units and roll saves\leadership if you are going to be away from your units.

That's all from me, really looking forward to this years event, we'll see if Disorder can actually win this year rather than claiming victory from a rounding error :)

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:59:33 PM by Achillius »
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
O you cheeky brit.....

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 03:27:44 AM »
There was a White Dwarf article about 2 years ago that had an Apoc battle report that involved table interractions like controlling a moon laser to drop stuff on the planet. I think there were more interractions, but I don't remember. I'll see if I can find the issue on my shelf.

I am interested in this, Sean.  Please send me an email if you are able to find the article.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 03:48:30 AM »
The largest issue with transporting units / models from table to table is that the rate of play on each is independent.  This is a pretty complex issue, especially if people start gaming around it (which happens pretty much not at all at the Megabattle and is something I'll never understand).

Solving other issues with respect to moving units from table to table is easy enough (although not very fun).

What I would like to see presented are not so much the actual ideas for WHAT WILL happen but ideas for HOW whatever will happen.

Last year players were responsible for reporting certain aspects of the game to me or Derek.  This did not happen and in several cases we were told about it after an effect should have taken place.  Also, much of the time Derek or myself will be focusing on one area of one table and, for that time period, will not have any real idea what is going on elsewhere.  This will be more difficult to handle this year with two more tables.

An easy, reliable, consistent, and effective method of reporting when different things have happened or should happen would be nice.  This should be easy enough this year, especially if we are better prepared.  After that is taken care of we need a very easy, universally understood way of dealing with HOW things that effect other tables will happen (and when they will happen).

In my opinion, everything that effects one table or another should take place the the start of the next round on that table. Even this is pretty clunky and requires at least 10 people to stop what they are doing, give me their attention, and focus on something else for 30-60 seconds.

So, HOW should all of "this" happen.  What is a seamless way to handle the inter-table effects?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »
Considering the nature of the game I am unsure if a seemless way is possible.  Only a couple things pop into mind like table "captains" who do the reporting or a physical scoreboard noting who controls what.

On the captain side of it, they could just notify you or another referee when the game turn ticks over for a quick review.  While this may sound tedious, just remember that every table will be at a different pace.  So if moon will shoot the laser, you could probably have it happen on the planet their following turm.  Same with the other side tables.

Having the surface interact with the other tables is more problematic as their pace will be slower than the rest of the game.  I supose it could work the same way as the effect is produced next player turn after a referee is notified by one of the captains.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
So, HOW should all of "this" happen.  What is a seamless way to handle the inter-table effects?

Perhaps each table should have a box on it, in which notes can be placed specifying interactions.  Rather than a box, one might give it to your own team's table captain.

At the end of a player turn on one table, if the team whose turn ended has sole control of some set of objectives, they get to put a note in another tables's box.  This note might quote a well defined game mechanic such as as Orbital Bombardment.  If the cross table effect isn't a well known game mechanic, it would be up to Derek and Chase to have clearly defined it before hand.

At the start of every shooting phase, the side whose turn it is gets to look through the box for notes that justify extra explosions.

The above idea in its simplest form does not try to keep game time in synch.  One might also specify on the note what turn the action ought to occur on.  Thus, a note might say "From Moon table to Main table, Orbital Bombardment, arrives shooting phase turn 3. 

This would become problematic if a slow table tries to bombard a fast table, or possibly vica versa.  If a fast table bombards a slow table on turn six, and the slow table never gets to turn six, the bombardment might just never be played.  If a slow table bombards a fast table, a note saying bombard on turn 4 might not be read until turn 5.  If this is the case, perhaps the projectile was just slow, and would land a little late. 

It might be simpler not to specify the turn on arrival, but just execute the bombardment on the next appropriate shooting phase.

The above example is fixed purely on bombardment.  There could be other forms of interaction that might best be kept to a minimum.  I'd suggest that the claiming of objectives always take place at the end of a player's turn.  Write a note.  Put it in the other table's in box.  The execution would take place on an appropriate phase. 

If a unit is moved to another table, it would appear on the next movement phase for the correct side on the other table.  If the interaction is related to shooting, it would take place in the next shooting phase for the correct side on the other table.  If there is an enemy unit within assault range of a portal, we might or might not allow a unit to enter a table on the assault phase.

But I don't really like players controlling units on two tables.  I'd suggest using the Dakka Dakka rule, that if a unit moves to another table, the sending player gives up all control over the unit.  A player on the new table becomes responsible for playing the unit.

If we move units between tables this year, I suggest that we allow a very limited number of gates.  Let's do it on a trial basis.  For example, there might be a few places where one might move between the sewer and city tables, but no warp portals that allow transfer from any portal to any other portal.

I'd also suggest that if we have gates between tables, they might come in different sizes.  Some might allow infantry, cavalry, bikes and beasts only, some might allow tanks and transports as well, while few if any gates are big enough for superheavies or gargantuan creatures.

This is just an attempt to make things as simple and idiot resistant as possible.  I could do without moving units between tables at all.  I could go with bombardment only interactions.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »
I like those ideas, Bob.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 02:44:47 PM »
As someone with a large flier with transport ablties I think moving units onto a seperate table us a bad idea. I have a hard enough time moving fliers on one table let alone 2 and constantly move back and forth between tables us a migraine waiting to happen.

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
if we allow people to move models from one table to another we are going to end up with one side or another sending as many troops to one table as possible destroying the whole point of putting even numbers of players on each table.

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:57 AM »
I just thought of something awesome for the ice table.  Any vehicle with an armor value(does NOT apply to walkers) shifts d3 inches back after it fires it's main weapon.  Main weapon would be defined as any weapon that exceeds strength 5.  If your tank hits another vehicle during this move damage will be treated like a ramming attack. 

Another possibility for the ice table is that vehicles who go flat out will move an extra d6 inches in a random direction ( use the warmahordes template for this).  This extra movement can result in a tank shock or ramming attack as per normal rules

Doomscape

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
That's a neat idea Moosifer, but I think it might wind up as a whole mess of bookkeeping on a day we probably want to keep said bookkeeping to a minimum.  Plus I'm not sure the "move back d3" would really amount to much.

Although the thought of ork trukks with reinforced rams moving with turbo boostas and the ice fields to annihilate land raiders (due to how far they've moved) makes me giggle a bit.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »

Another possibility for the ice table is that vehicles who go flat out will move an extra d6 inches in a random direction ( use the warmahordes template for this).  This extra movement can result in a tank shock or ramming attack as per normal rules

If only we had some kind of 6 sided device we used to give a random direction, maybe to show something that scatters.

I do like the idea though, moving flat out and then moving in a random direction.  I also think that the vehicle should then face the direction in was moved in, or at least have some sort of facing changed.  A simple rule, but one that really makes the environment match the gameplay.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »

If only we had some kind of 6 sided device we used to give a random direction, maybe to show something that scatters.

I do like the idea though, moving flat out and then moving in a random direction.  I also think that the vehicle should then face the direction in was moved in, or at least have some sort of facing changed.  A simple rule, but one that really makes the environment match the gameplay.

Sims, the only reason I suggested the warmahordes template is that there is little in the way of confusion about the angle of where the scatter goes.  It has the direction it was going, and 5 other directions.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
I'd recommend against small model-based rules. The megabattle can be confusing and time consuming enough, no need to add in scattering for all vehicles. I do think that is really cool, though. Especially the shooting rule.

I'd stick to table-wide static effects that do not generate die rolls or once per turn global effects.
beep bop boop