Author Topic: Blood angel army  (Read 2908 times)

skavengear

Blood angel army
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:16:03 PM »
anyone have suggestions for a blood angel army 2000 pts?

my idea was to have troops be pure death squad, terminators with lightning claws, a dreadnaught or two, and hq choice the chaplain and chaptermaster seth or astarath

anyone can help me out give suggestions

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: Blood angel army
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:53:35 PM »
ya don't play an army that just got a codex cuz you think its gonna own all others.....

take that new player.

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:54:32 PM »
ya don't play an army that just got a codex cuz you think its gonna own all others.....

take that new player.

I agree.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
Building armies based on the new codex and based on 'codex creep' forces that have a reputation for making it easier to win is a common phenomena I've encountered at many a game store.  There is always a fad period after a codex is released when the new army is popular.

I have not noticed that this trend is less common at Battlegrounds, or that veteran players aren't as apt to follow the fad trends than beginners.

The new Blood Angels?  I haven't seen them in action enough to form a firm opinion, but a lot of folks seem to think them a quite potent force.  The word 'broken' has been spoken on occasion.  I've seen them in play a lot more over the last few weeks than I have since the heyday of Rhino Rush.

Me?  I think there are enough space marine armies floating around.  I'd prefer that the marine chapters with special codexes (Wolves, Angels and Templar) be slightly underpowered.  I'd rather see such chapters played by people who love the fluff and flavor rather than those who love to power game.

But play the army you want to play, for whatever reason drew you to try the game.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »
ok in all seriousness dave, I think that you should start with an HQ that you think is cool.  Then build off of that.   You'll need a good base of Troop choices so you can take objectives, since most games in a tournament format will require you to work with some kind of objective.  Also, be wary of certain units that don't have models yet.  It will be on you to make a suitable conversion for that unit.  My suggestion stay away from stuff that doesn't have a model and you don't feel comfortable converting.  Other than that the Chaplin Dreadnought looks devastating and its kind of a cool vision to me.  Worship me or be crushed by it mighty blood claws!!!

But as with anything, go with an army you enjoy the story too.  Even the new "power" codex armies are gonna come up short against some armies, espcially when you face a veterain player that has seen that codex and comes to a fight prepared to fight that army's "cheese" factor.  At least if you like the story of an army you have fun playing it even when the game doesn't go your way.

My suggestions start with a 1000 point list and build upon that.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »
I wouldn't take death company as your only troop. One main reason they can't hold an objective.

Your only way to win an objective mission is to annilate your opponent, which is not easy
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »
Check out army builder as some here like it.  I prefer excel as you are not limited to their updates.

Is there a particular theme you are looking for?  Possibly something more close combat oriented or something more long range? A balanced force perhaps to take on all comers?

Like I said in another thread:  basic marines are pretty awesome.  You can't go wrong with too many tac squads.

skavengear

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 10:33:08 PM »
actually ive been kinda skimming through the armies to find one i like and it just happens blood angels seemed interesting to me (odd since space marines seemed way to much to handle).

my idea is to start with astarath, chaplain with power fist n crozius, 15 death company, a dread, maybe a terminator squad. and see how that goes and see where to expand upon after a few games. the most important factor in my army decision was finding something that looked cool and fit my playstyle i use in every game. only complaint is i dont really want to paint them red...  ;D

my second in choice would be necron but it was a far trail from the angels, since none of their models had any melee prowess, bar the nightbringer thing with 10 F***ing str!

tactics would be obviously 2 units of death company one with astarath the other with chaplain and maybe a dread each with tank hunter. then again i may be using an old builder

skavengear

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:35:44 PM »
i was under the assumption that death company could take objectives... they are troops and i didnt see a rule saying they couldnt, if not id add a "norm" squad

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:38:33 PM »
i was under the assumption that death company could take objectives... they are troops and i didnt see a rule saying they couldnt, if not id add a "norm" squad

I was flipping through the BA codex today and did see the no objectives rule for Death Company.

deathwatch101

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 11:31:26 PM »
I like the idea of a all deepstriking army I faced a for of one Saturday and it was both fun and a challenge to play against
Knowledge is Power,Guard it Well

skavengear

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 12:11:57 AM »
im thinking of changing the chaplain to an elite and including mephiston and possibly a sanguinary guard but not sure on that. mephisto just has a really impessive statline for the style of army im going for

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
You don't have to paint them red. If you want to stick with a Traditional BA army you could go with the lementar's they are yellow.

My suggestion would be to make your own chapter. That way you can play them as any marine codex you want.
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

skavengear

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
i was going for black and painting them all similar to death company, since they are the focus of the army. the only problem is im not sure i really need astarath now, my question is can i give them a bolter/boltgun and a power fist or chain sword, the chain sword and power fisters in the same squad?

i  want to shoot for around 1200 points and be capable of 2000 by mid summer

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 12:11:45 PM »
Not sure what your asking about the powerfist/chainsword?

Each entry in the codex should tell you what you can do. i.e. Death company entry should say somthing along the lines of 2 of your marines may exchange there pistol's for plasma pistol's, etc. So if your squad has the option to take a powerfist it should be in the entry as to what it replace's if it doesn't say you can assume it replace's a like weapon i.e. fist for chainsword.

Does this help?