Author Topic: Blood angel army  (Read 2907 times)

skavengear

Re: Blood angel army
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 03:35:28 PM »
what i meant was i want 10 with chainsword and boltguns and 5 with thunderhammers or power fists and jet packs. is this possible? they are options but i didnt know if id need to make a seperate squad for the jump pack ones and if a model can wield a boltgun and chainsword

skavengear

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 03:40:45 PM »
as it stands i will have approximately 1200 points ready soon as college gives me my $100 reimbursement. the army is as follows (please correct any legal/rules issues):

HQ
Astorath the grim

Elites
Death company dreadnought with blood talons
Terminator squad with lightning claws
space marine chaplain with power fist and crozius

Troops
10 death company with boltguns and chainswords
5 death company with jump packs and either power fists or thunder hammers

the 5 with packs will be joined by astorath and the 10 without will include the chaplain

any help or comments are welcomed (please note im on a tight money budget)

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »
I'm still reading up on the BA's.

I wouldn't bother giving the chaplain a fist, you'd be better giving a fist to one of the troop squads instead, you'll get more use out of it. Mainly because a chaplin can be singled out in hth and possible never use his fist.

Variety of wargear is good, I wouldn't give your entire jump squad powerfist or thunderhammer's (which is possible with DC correct?) mainly becuase if they take one casualty your loosing a 30+pont model. Becuase of wound allocation you may want to vary your equipment. Best thing would be to give 2 - 3 PF/TH to your 10man and 1 - 2 to your assault squad. If possible you should throw an assault weapon in each squad like a meltagun in each squad.

Your big thing right now is that you can not win an objective based mission, you have no units that can score at best all you can do is tie someone! I would look into taking a tactical squad at full strength at leaset then you can combat squad it into two units.

Hope this helps  ;D

"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

skavengear

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »
why do i have no units that dont score i dont understand where that is coming from?

the rest seems like advise id like to tinker with thank you. only thing now is to get my other models and kill stuff ;D

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »
Death company can not claim objectives
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

skavengear

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
ah throwing in a tactical squad works, and they have red thirst ;D but cant elites take objectives? im real new to 40k.

i guess adding in a tactical squad with chainswords and bolt pistols isnt a bad idea? would 5 models do? i could simply have them move around collecting objectives while everything else distracts and aggros the opponents forces

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 08:11:11 PM »
ah throwing in a tactical squad works, and they have red thirst ;D but cant elites take objectives? im real new to 40k.

i guess adding in a tactical squad with chainswords and bolt pistols isnt a bad idea? would 5 models do? i could simply have them move around collecting objectives while everything else distracts and aggros the opponents forces

This is why learning the rules is good before you start building an army.

Only troops can score, and they can only score one objective at the end of the game.  If I was playing you, I'd take out your tiny scoring squad, then relax.  If you're playing anyone with a sense of tactical ability, they won't "aggro" your non-scoring units just because they're there.  It's not some video game AI.  This edition really wants you to have a lot of troops, and it gets fun to have them.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

skavengear

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 08:55:49 PM »
well what is a common point amount? for 10 tacs, 15 deathco, 5 terminators, a dread, chap, and hq its roughly 1400 points. plus theres the factor that i would also be targeting their troops with very strong assault models.

skavengear

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 09:04:56 PM »
not that its a big difference but my dreadnought is a troop doesnt that mean my walking destruction can score? that thing gets to hit again every time it wounds!

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 10:15:19 PM »
Dreadnaught are not bad in the game but anything with an Armorvalue can be easily stopped, especially in some armies that can field large amounts of meltaguns.

Best thing you can do is get a couple of games in and get a feel for the rules and the missions, play what you want in your first couple of games, you'll probably get the most enjoyment from that, and you can learn quick, about what to take and not take.

If your on a budget for warhammer and your playing marines your first purchase should really be battle for black reach. You get a lot for your money and you get a decent amount of mini's. If you don't want to go that route, I would suggest getting 2 tactical squads and a leader model (chaplain, commander, libraian, your choice) Then ask people to play a couple of games proxying the model's you don't have. Most people won't care about proxy model's, heck 2 weekends ago I fielded 9 plastic cups with killakan pictures on them (killakups TM)

skavengear

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »
well i have the army completely fielded once i get my $100 check. i dont really mind not winning, i enjoy the style of blood angels, who in good roleplaying are less concerned with capturing objectives and more concerned with quenching their thirst... FOR BLOOD!!!  ;D

so if its a troop can my dreadnought actually score? cuz i predict if it can itd be pretty sweet

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »
Yes, because he is a troop he can score, the only thing to check before hand is look in your codex under the dreadnaught entry and see if he has black rage. If he does check the wording, it may say he can not claim objective's.

I've been play testing an Ork Dread mob army with two scoring deff dread's and its nice when they can score, but can be a tough call on wether to hold back and sit on the objective or run and try to do more damage.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:44:45 PM by jhobin »

skavengear

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 03:44:28 PM »
nope in the flavor text it says that they have black rage but its not effecting their tabletop play. my vision for the army would then be to accomplish the less dangerous objectives using my tactical marines, and send the dread to hold more dangerous objectives.

the whole reason i chose the army was to play casually and enjoy the fact of having a dominating assault range army. while the death company cant score, they make up for it in combat potential, and with furious charge, theyre even worse.

only problem in "roleplaying" by the flavor of the dreadnought is death company dreadnoughts apparently are notorious for going off on wild unstoppable killing sprees, which would go back to what you mean by basically having to choose between sitting on an objective or going with the flavor and inflicting pain.
I really cant wait to play them though they seem like theyll be so much fun ;D

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:59 PM »
The problem with Death Company and the Black Rage is that you are subject to the Rage Universal Rule which says you HAVE to move towards the closest enemy unit.  This applies to both your DC and DC Dread and can cause some plans to falter.

As for the army as a whole, it plays out rather nicely.  I am happy with the way they have played so far, and getting to understand how they work together (red thirst making things nuts) makes me excited to play my entire jump pack army

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »
vehicle can't score, even if they are troops (main rules page 90) but if you have trrops embarked in a transport, the transport counts as scoring as long as the troops stay inside