Author Topic: Need help in the army department  (Read 1117 times)

Destroys Hunter-Killers

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
Need help in the army department
« on: April 18, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Hey guys i'm new here and like to blow up hunter killer missiles, anyone wanna help me wit my salamander army here is what i got so far

HQ- Vulkan 190 points
       Librarian 130

Troops - 2x Tac squad 170points missile launcher,flamer
            Sniper scouts 85 points

Fast- Assault squad 115points
        Vanguards 215points 5man all shields
        Scout bikes 110points beacon

Heavy- Dev squad 2 bolts 2 las cannon
           Raider Redeemer 265 points multi melt and armor

Elites - Term assault 200points shield and hammer
           Ironclad 165 wit hammers or 155 wit hurricane

All input is helpful and thank you very much
A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.

Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
Re: Need help in the army department
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 01:56:11 PM »
Blow up hunter killer missiles?

Well, I'm guessing this is a 2000 point army.  You don't have many troops (your two Tac squads and a scout sniper squad).  In 2 of the 3 missions in the books, troops are of vital importance.  You may want to consider changing out one of your fast attack squads in order to get more of them.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »
Hey guys i'm new here and like to blow up hunter killer missiles

i know what he means, last night he rolled a weapon destroyed result on the damage table and blew up the hunterkiller-missile on a fully functional landraider (instead of the lascannon)

skavengear

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:46:02 PM »
rob is correct more troops is good to have

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »
Have you considered Multi-meltas in your tac squads? More powerful than missiles and more in theme for a Vulcan list.   A multi-melta + flamer pretty much is the epitome of the Salamanders if I recall correctly.

From a meta-game perspective, the Vulcan lists are quite powerful considering what is en vogue with the Space Marine codex and 5th edition.  TH/SS terminators are one of the single most awesome units in 5th edition and Vulcan makes them even more awesome.  Twin Linked Melta / Flamers also are quite devastating when you take into account 5th edition rules of everyone having cover and the return of nigh invincible tanks.  Don't spam melta though as you do want your opponents to have some fun.

My advice overall?  Seek to bring the list more in line with Salamanders' theme but try to vary from the easy to fall into cut and paste style lists.  Remember that T4 and 3+ armor save are awesome so you can't have too many marines.

I think you have a good start to your list.  Avoiding blowing up one shot items during games comes with practice.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
I agree. If you want to use Vulcan, Multi Meltas, meltas and flammer weapons are your friends. You need Tactical squads to score objectives, scouts dont do that very well.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
Nick Lowe (the OP) is very, very entertaining.  
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Destroys Hunter-Killers

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 08:47:47 PM »
thank you guys for all the input
A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.

Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.