Author Topic: Iron Man Table?  (Read 17985 times)

General Leevous

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
Re: Iron Man Table?
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
T e a m w o r k
G r o e p s w e r k
T r a v a i l  D ' é q u i p e
O μ α δ ι κ ή ε ρ γ α σ ί α
L a v o r o d i S q u a d r a
チ ー ム ワ ー ク
팀 웍
T r a b a l h o s d e E q u i p a

I would continue to go to other languages but I hope, nay PRAY you get the point

Try Klingon they are nerds after all.

yes TEAM WORK takes down a towering super heavy. Its a mega battle usualy more then one person is involved. Quit whinning about super heavies. The game is made for people to bring stuff that they cant use in a normal game of 40k. So you want to tell me people who have titans which are already not allowed in normal 40k should not be allowed to have their titans in apocolyps either? No let them bring it. Be it one huge one or 5 small ones any army can deal with a titan. I think there is just to muich whining going on or major penis envy or both.

The only reason I bitch about the titans is because I believe everyone thinks of these things as the ultimate thing to take and that makes EVERYONE want to take one (stompas included) but to me that's wicked lame, I mean how many titans do we need, like if we had a bunch of cool superheavies in diversity I wouldn't care as much but I just feel like having x amount of the same model on the field is lame... we literally had 6 warhounds on the surface... WHAT?! I'm even complaining about the 1 that was on our side. I'm just saying that everyone should just think over what they bring and see if it fits the fluff of the army and stuff... idk that's just me though
Run Run Run as Fast as You Can... You Cant Catch Me Im The GINGER!!!!

So sayeth the Ginger, FEAR the Ginger!

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2010, 02:26:21 AM »
T e a m w o r k
G r o e p s w e r k
チ ー ム ワ ー ク
팀 웍

I would continue to go to other languages but I hope, nay PRAY you get the point

Try Klingon they are nerds after all.

yes TEAM WORK takes down a towering super heavy. Its a mega battle usualy more then one person is involved. Quit whinning about super heavies. The game is made for people to bring stuff that they cant use in a normal game of 40k. So you want to tell me people who have titans which are already not allowed in normal 40k should not be allowed to have their titans in apocolyps either? No let them bring it. Be it one huge one or 5 small ones any army can deal with a titan. I think there is just to muich whining going on or major penis envy or both.

The only reason I bitch about the titans is because I believe everyone thinks of these things as the ultimate thing to take and that makes EVERYONE want to take one (stompas included) but to me that's wicked lame, I mean how many titans do we need, like if we had a bunch of cool superheavies in diversity I wouldn't care as much but I just feel like having x amount of the same model on the field is lame... we literally had 6 warhounds on the surface... WHAT?! I'm even complaining about the 1 that was on our side. I'm just saying that everyone should just think over what they bring and see if it fits the fluff of the army and stuff... idk that's just me though

I may have brought 3 of those 6, but don't blame me!
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2010, 02:49:20 AM »
 I heard loud grumbling about Murf's all TH / SS terminator army month ago.

Its not all TH/SS If your going to grumble about the army at least get facts right. 20 out of 54 models had a SS. 37% And ONE vortex or Orc missle could fuck up my day. Or admittedly a guard squad tossing out 150 shots. :-X And whats wrong with you all. Theres a new codex to cry about. Everyone start badmouthing Blood Angels as I sneak off!
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2010, 04:18:31 AM »
About the Titan minimum range thing...

It's crystal clear that the intent was never, ever for a Titan to fire it's carapace weapons on models at it's feet or within the minimum range the bigger Titans have listed on their sheet.  If I remember correctly, Nicks Titan (Red Emp) could actually fire some of it's weapons "backwards" at models near it's feet if it wanted to.  If it couldn't, simply extending the barrels of the carapace weapons would have allowed for it.

5th edition (and maybe previous editions) seems to state pretty clearly what happens when firing guns at targets.

They contradict each other.  Surprise, surprise.  Rules applied to things they were never meant to govern leads to that from time to time.  When an instance comes up and we have time to address it, a simple, logical, adjustment seems more than fair to me.  We feel that it promotes a better game.

There appears to be this 45 degree rule.  Cool, I guess.  At least it's there.  I'd hate to have to bust that out on someone when they are getting ready to fire their big monster.  I'd also hate to see people trying to figure that out all game long.  It makes sense.  I like the rule.  I just question peoples awareness.

Anyhow, I didn't really see or know about what happened with this at the Megabattle.  At the time it seemed like the players went with the rules as the appear in the book.  Seems fine to me.  It is what should have been done.

For next years Megabattle I would expect to see the Towering Monstrosity rule played in a way that reflects what we perceive the intent to be.  I have a hard time believing people will have a problem with this.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2010, 07:51:54 AM »
Chase... Go to bed... Dude, the Megabattle's been done for over a week now...  Get some rest, will ya! :P
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

General Leevous

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
Lol my take on the whole carapace weapon firing at its feet thing is imagining this big elaborate robot bending over to fire at opponents like if a mouse were to crawl under your feet and you tried to catch it. It would look quite humerous and would also be EXTREMELY top heavy lol (also imagine it falling over cuz it did that :P).

I know we just made the 45 degree rule on that I just figured I might get a couple laughs out of this...
Run Run Run as Fast as You Can... You Cant Catch Me Im The GINGER!!!!

So sayeth the Ginger, FEAR the Ginger!

Lady GaGa

• Heroic Tier Level 2
  • I want your love I dont wanna be friends
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2010, 03:50:42 PM »
I tried to talk to one of the non-replies at the store one night, and got a brief response.  "I don't do planning."  

That was me.

Wild Card bitches

Also
T e a m w o r k
G r o e p s w e r k
チ ー ム ワ ー ク
팀 웍

Look at Rick, sitting on his cloud of judgment, handing down life lessons to all the sinners.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:58:24 PM by Lady GaGa »

I won't tell you that I love you
Kiss or hug you
Cause I'm bluffin' with my muffin
I'm not lying I'm just stunnin' with my love-glue gunning

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »
I tried to talk to one of the non-replies at the store one night, and got a brief response.  "I don't do planning." 

That was me.

Wild Card bitches

Also
T e a m w o r k
G r o e p s w e r k
チ ー ム ワ ー ク
팀 웍

Look at Rick, sitting on his cloud of judgment, handing down life lessons to all the sinners.

That's me, the hand of the almighty lord almighty.  Bow down before me and my infinite wisdom.

REPENT THE END IS NEAR!!!!!!

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »
There appears to be this 45 degree rule.  Cool, I guess.  At least it's there.  I'd hate to have to bust that out on someone when they are getting ready to fire their big monster.  I'd also hate to see people trying to figure that out all game long.  It makes sense.  I like the rule.  I just question peoples awareness.

Anyhow, I didn't really see or know about what happened with this at the Megabattle.  At the time it seemed like the players went with the rules as the appear in the book.  Seems fine to me.  It is what should have been done.

For next years Megabattle I would expect to see the Towering Monstrosity rule played in a way that reflects what we perceive the intent to be.  I have a hard time believing people will have a problem with this.

It might be worth mentioning the 45 degree rule in next year's rules thread.  It is relevant to titan battles, and I expect titans to be popular next year too.  It just comes up in normal games so seldom that no one knew about it.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »
I tried to talk to one of the non-replies at the store one night, and got a brief response.  "I don't do planning." 

That was me.

Wild Card bitches

Also
T e a m w o r k
G r o e p s w e r k
チ ー ム ワ ー ク
팀 웍

That's me, the hand of the almighty lord almighty.  Bow down before me and my infinite wisdom.

I will never bow before you. I am a Steve D like my father before me. I will never give into you.

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2010, 10:29:15 PM »

That was me.

Wild Card bitches

Also
T e a m w o r k
G r o e p s w e r k
チ ー ム ワ ー ク
팀 웍

I will never bow before you. I am a Steve D like my father before me. I will never give into you.

Whoah whoah whoah...are you a JUNIOR????

As in Steve D. Jr.?

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2010, 03:05:04 AM »

This year no Tyranid Bio Titans actually made the table, so we dodged another question, how to play the Bio Titan's Warp Field.

In the best of all possible worlds, whenever the 40K core rules change, or a new codex comes out for a specific army, GW would review all data sheets and update them to reflect the changes.  This is, of course, not the best of all possible worlds.  The Towering Monstrosity problem came up due to a change in the definition of 'range'.  If as a matter of principle we throw out the old rules and bring in the new, the Towering Monstrosity rule lost all of its teeth.  Fortunately, the 45 degree rule has much the same teeth, thus the titans power does not end up increasing or decreasing.  A titan is worth pretty much what it was worth before.

With the update of the Tyranid codex, the phrase 'warp field' is reused to mean something entirely different from the old codex.  Instead of providing a 6+ invulnerable save to models in a limited area, it provides a 3+ invulnerable save to the single model with the power. 

For any critter in the Tyranid codex we should without a doubt use the power definitions used in the new codex.  For Apocalypse data sheets, this is not clear.  If there is a major definition change or rule change that clearly changes the over all power level of a data sheet, we might consider the original intent, and if necessary run old data sheets under old rules.  Otherwise, you end up with data sheets that are priced entirely wrong.

I bring this up in abstract as a point of philosophy, and with a red flag as Cookie is talking about buying a Bio Titan (possibly more than one) and has stated an intent to argue for mixing an old data sheet with a new codex to create a critter very different from the intent of the authors of the data sheet.

One of my old gaming groups used the word 'crock' to describe a rules interpretation that a power gaming rules lawyer likes as it makes his stuff more powerful, but by common sense and intent of the rules is a crock of (expletive deleted).  I'd like to encourage Case and Derek to call a crock a crock if necessary.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2010, 08:31:08 AM »
By Raw it only affects the brain bugs and does not apply to Biotitans.  Bell of Lost Souls (and the rest of the internet) jumped on that way too early. 

Think of things like say LatD or the FW Giant Spined Chaos Beast.  They referenced the old and not usable chaos codex.  So you played them without the powers or in LatD's case when the datasheet came out.

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »
I think it is very amusing that you would rather jump to conclusions about the thoughts of other players and their viewing of rules rather than listen to what they would say.

You have this idea that a shadowy group of egotistical power gaming rules lawyers are ruining your fun and fluffy gameplay.  There are rules for this game that are ambiguous (most are actually) and it is up to BOTH party's involved to iron out the issues.  I was there on the moon and heard nothing about this 45 degree angle discussion but with the way the rules were written it made complete sense.

Lady GaGa

• Heroic Tier Level 2
  • I want your love I dont wanna be friends
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2010, 11:24:52 AM »
I think it is very amusing that you would rather jump to conclusions about the thoughts of other players and their viewing of rules rather than listen to what they would say.
This coming from someone who was freaking out over rules and jumping to conclusions before the Mega Battle.  Not on your cloud of judgment any more :p
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:43:01 AM by Lady GaGa »

I won't tell you that I love you
Kiss or hug you
Cause I'm bluffin' with my muffin
I'm not lying I'm just stunnin' with my love-glue gunning