Author Topic: Game on Mon. 1/25  (Read 1570 times)

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
Game on Mon. 1/25
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »
Anyone interested in a 1500 point game on Mon. 1/25

I'm somewhat new, this would be my fourth game. I know most of the basics but would still request that my opponent be patient with my ignorance of some things at this point.

I will be at Battlegrounds from noon to 9 or so. (Lots of painting to do)

Thanks,
Jeff.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:20:48 PM by Passmod »
Imperial Fists
W: 1 L: 0 T: 0

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
Re: Game on Sat. 1/23
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:21:55 PM »
Anyone interested in a 1500 point game on Saturday 1/23?

I'm somewhat new, this would be my fourth game. I know most of the basics but would still request that my opponent be patient with my ignorance of some things at this point.

I can be at Battlegrounds around 5:30PM.

Thanks,
Jeff.

I'll likely be at the store, but as I've been one of your opponents in three of your four games, I'd recommend you look around for some variety.  Your marines likely don't want to earn a reputation for regularly beating up on innocent little girls.   ;)

A few comments on last night's game.  Playing guard, especially against marines, I tend to focus my fire on the single greatest threat.  I almost have to.  If I spread my shots around hitting a bunch of marine units, none of them will be seriously hurt.

Thus, your assault squad, or whatever squad was furthest forward and most exposed, got persistently picked on.

This is painful for your squad that is the greatest perceived threat.  It also means all your other squads will receive very little fire.  Note that your terminators weren't shot at to speak of, while your tactical squads were left alone until the assault squad died.

So, at least when you are fighting players like me, when one squad is a definite threat, other squads might be able to take larger risks.  While I am focusing in on one thing, it might be time to push forward the next squad.

Again, try not to attack with only one squad at a time.   One squad challenging many is painful for the one squad.  If fire is concentrated on the one squad, it might be time for other squads to come to that unit's support.

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
i'll be around to play on saturday

Ostrakon

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:20 PM »
I was almost going to post a topic almost literally the same, as I'm a new player who wants to play a 1500 point game tomorrow.

I have no idea what time I'll be at the store. I'll try to be there around 4-5ish.

Question for people who usually play there:

I've been collecting+painting for a couple months now, and have not played a single game yet. The vast majority of my models are painted, but I'm still in the process of painting some of my other models. Also, I'm still in the process of collecting: let's say I own 5 immortals, are people going to have a problem with me proxying the remaining 5 I'm simply waiting to purchase? I noticed a few weeks ago someone was playing with a more or less completely unpainted force and nobody said anything, but it looked like he at least owned all the models he was using.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:56:37 AM »
I doubt it will be a problem.  People are pretty casual with respect to that stuff, so long as it doesn't happen all the time.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »
Sorry guys, I won't be able to make it there tonight. Just got called into work. Could use some extra money so I'm going to go in.

I'll be up Monday (All Day, Noon - 10PM) if anyone wants to do a 2000-2500 or more game (or less) I'll be up for that.

Thanks guys,
Jeff.
Imperial Fists

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 06:59:42 PM »
Like Chase said proxy'ing is not an issue here, heck most WYSIWYG is not really even that much of a deal.  You just have to make sure to declare stuff before the game, and things need to be size appropriate to stand in.  So you can not throw down a tactical squad and call it storm sheild terminators, bases are too small.

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
Re: Game on Mon. 1/25
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:21:24 PM »
Updated the thread.
Imperial Fists

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
Re: Game on Mon. 1/25
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 12:11:53 PM »
Leaving for battlegrounds in about an hour. If anyone wants a game today, I'll be there until around 9 or so.

Thanks,
Jeff.
Imperial Fists