Author Topic: GKs without GKs  (Read 920 times)

tilarium

• Heroic Tier Level 4
    • Email
GKs without GKs
« on: September 24, 2011, 06:56:51 PM »
Got my hands on a copy of the codex and really interested in playing with it... only I don't really like marines and GKs.  So was thinking how to make a GK army without GKs and was came up with the idea of modding up some guardsmen and some fantasy pieces to have the right care.  For instance, modding up some greatswords to look the part of purifiers.  Things like that.  Would people have a problem playing against such an army?  Would it be legal for offical tournies (never played in one)?  Any advice on modeling this army?  Terminator armor, what's a good sub for that?

Might even be willing to use marine models to be GKs if I have to.  Have a fair amount of SM kits and pieces laying around that I could use... just not a fan of marines.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: GKs without GKs
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 08:00:59 PM »
So its the Grey Knights stuff you're interested in running? Because my first thought is that you simply run an Inquisition army.

There are a couple of conversion armies and more converted single models from Plainville's Thursday regulars, so conversions aren't an issue. However, none of them are making this big of a conceptual leap. Usually, its power armor 'counts as' other power armor.

The most important thing is that any army is clear to your opponent, so you at the very least need consistency and coherency. Any models should be as close to "what you see is what you get" as possible. If you can do those things, you should be fine for any casual game.

If you're concerned about running in tournaments, I would make one squad as you want and seek approval with the tournament organizers. If that gets an okay, proceed forward. Once completed, check everything again with the TOs.

I am thinking Ogryns could make decent IG-themed Terminator substitutes.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:17:32 AM »
Because the GK codex has power armor options and Inq options that are essentially guardsmen already I could see this as a problem.  In a tourny setting I definitly would not want to play against it due to the fact that my brain sucks and I would be fighting against an inq army when in fact it actually is a GK army.

My suggestion instead of trying to proxy an army that is in PA with guardsmen read into the book a bit more and make a Inq army that fits your playstyle.

Examples...  You mention Purifiers a GREAT substitue for them in the Inq section are Death Cult Assassains.  It is very easy to make a Inq army in the play style you are looking for.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »
I agree with everything said here. Henchmen offer alternatives for every play style desired. If you are set on power armor and want to convert empire. I would suggest a steam punk theme army. Steam powered power armor and termy armor could look sick. Tesla powerweapons also works lol.

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
then you wouldn't be allowed to use it in gw compititions though
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »
No problem. GW only runs throne of skulls now. That system is kinda silly.

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
And Ard Boyz but honestly is that really a problem.  All the good GTs are private run now.

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:36:23 AM »
i was only saying because in the original post it was asked if it would be legal for official tournaments.
also some tournaments still follow gw rules.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »
Seth then my question to you is what is an official tourny?

Is a BG run tourny official?  I would say yes because its where we play.

Is an independant GT official?  I would say yes again because you earn tickets to GOT through these.

Both tournies I would say are official tournies in every regard.  I think the intent of the post was for more local venues in which all would be official as they are run by the store.  And they do not have such limitations.

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »
ya and that is why i had originally said gw tourneys. just to be clear.
sorry i am not familiar with this person and where they play. i also know what a tourney is and am not a moron.

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 01:56:21 PM »
Please refer to my last sentance.  As I do not imply you are a moron just giving the facts..

I think the intent of the post was for more local venues in which all would be official as they are run by the store.  And they do not have such limitations.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »
Heh, this reminds me of people who use Bloodcrushers counts as Thunderwolves.