Author Topic: Salamanders  (Read 1086 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Salamanders
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:37:13 AM »
Another 3 A.M. post asking about Lore and Armies but this time one I might play :O.

Chase mentioned to me about maybe I should play a Salamanders army and truth be told I had been thinking a lot about that beforehand so I wanted to ask players what they had seen for Salamander's army lists. I know basically you take Vulkan He'stan the Forgefather as an HQ and lots of Flamer and Melta. So I came up with a 2k list wanted to post it here see what people could say about it other lists are encouraged considering I don't have the models for this one just putting something out there.

HQ: Forgefather Vulkan He'stan
HQ: Space Marine Captain (Bike, Hellfire Rounds, Relic Blade, Combi Melta or Flamer, Digital Weapons,Artificer Armour )
Troops: Space Marine Bike Squad (  4 Bikes 2 with Flamers Sergeant with Combi-Flamer)
Troops: Space Marine Bike Squad (  4 Bikes 2 with Flamers Sergeant with Combi-Flamer)
Fast Attack: Attack Bike Squad (2 Bikes with 2 Multi-Meltas)
Fast Attack: Attack Bike Squad (2 Bikes with 2 Multi-Meltas)
Elite: Venerable Dreadnought (Multi-Melta,Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod, Extra Armor)
Elite: Venerable Dreadnought (Multi-Melta,Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod, Extra Armor)
Elite: Terminator Assault Squad (5 Terminatours 2 LC 3 TH+SS, In Land Raider Redeemer with Multi-Melta,Extra Armor)

I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Salamanders
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »
Where does Vulkan live?

For this list, I think Venerable Dreads are the worst choice as far as 3 Dreads go. Regular Dreads kitted the same are 60 points cheaper, while Ironclad Dreads are also a cheaper option and be tougher nuts to crack.

Biker Sergeants should be given combi-meltas, maybe even Power Fists. Captain, combi-melta.

Check this forum.
http://yesthetruthhurts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11
Whole mess of Vulkan lists in there. None of the ones I saw use bikers, but other principles are the same. Oh, and they're not nice there like we're nice.

I think there's some potential here, definitely an upgrade from your 2k tournament list. The bikers can use the Land Raider as cover, then dart around to flame whatever sweet meats found inside rolling metal boxes. Just make sure you don't short-change yourself on Troops. 2k lists should have 4 choices at a bare minimum.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »
I plan on using a Salamanders Bike list in the coming 'Ard Boyz tournament.  My list is close to what you have at the moment, with some variations.

@Ben, I'd imagine that Vulkan would go in the Redeemer with the Terminators.

@Loranus, my suggestion would be to put a few HF/MM Land Speeders in there.  Then put an Attack Bike with each Bike Squad, and take out 1 regular Biker (for a total of 5 bikes still).  I agree with Ben that the Venerables are probably wasted points here.  Lastly, I'd keep all the Terminators with TH/SS.  Make as much use of your Chapter Tactics as you can.  If you'd like, I can forward you a copy of 'Ard Boyz list, and you can see where I've put most of my points into.  Granted it's a 2500 list, but it could give you an idea of how to play Salamanders on bikes.
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »
That would be awesome Benshin I don't think my e-mail is hidden so if you could send it would be great to look at. Looked at so many lists online last night that i was kinda overwhelmed by what people were doing and saw some good ideas everywhere I tried to take advantage of. Ya Vulkan was going to live with the Terminatours and roll again as an assault slaying beast :O. Ven Dreads ya 120 points spent on them I can spend elsewhere like on land speeders. On the Attack Bikes Benshin in the squads you running them with Heavy Bolters or with Multi-Meltas?
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »
@Ben, I'd imagine that Vulkan would go in the Redeemer with the Terminators.
*playful forehead slap* I've seen it twice in the past few days, you'd think I'd have remembered.

@Loranus, my suggestion would be to put a few HF/MM Land Speeders in there.  Then put an Attack Bike with each Bike Squad, and take out 1 regular Biker (for a total of 5 bikes still).  I agree with Ben that the Venerables are probably wasted points here.  Lastly, I'd keep all the Terminators with TH/SS.
Agreed. +1. Like.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »
I keep the MM's on the Attack Bikes, if you have the points for them.  Given your current list, I'd try to make at least one Bike squad dedicated to Melta Weapons (Combi's and all).  Leaving the other 2 dedicated to Flamer weapons is fine.

Warhammer 40,000

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 04:46:47 PM »
This is all Theory Crafting per say considering I dont have the models Im looking at an end game for my plans. :P Thank you for sending the list Ben its very helpful and I see where your going with it and see why you chose some options over others. My questions about your list and just curious why did you not take Hellfire Rounds and Artificer armour on your captain besides point restrictions?

Edit: I don't know if you made a Mistake putting your list together Ben cause I decided to pop it into Army Builder and I am running it at 2510 10 points over maybe I missed some rule or something thought I would let you know.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:57:17 PM by Loranus »

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »
Hey,

I just checked it again.  I didn't mean to include Digital Weapons on the Captain, actually.  So if you take that out, it should be 2500 even.  And the reason why I don't put Artificer Armor or Hellfire Rounds is because they are generally "point sinks", IMHO.  Unless I have 25 points to spare (which usually is never the case, but hypothetically speaking, if I were to) after kitting out all of my other stuff to their most cost effective portions, then I'd consider upgrading my Captain's armor and other wargear.  Personally, I think a Storm Shield is more effective than Artificer Armor, since he's using a Relic Blade instead of a regular Power Weapon.  So if I were to spend the extra 15 points on him, I'd invest in the SS instead.  Otherwise though, all the extra "bells and whistles" in wargear get allocated last after everything else.  You'll also notice I rarely take Melta Bombs too, and the only reason why the Captain has them was because I really did just find myself with 5 points and nothing better to put on anything else.  Now if only they gave Land Raiders access to Dozer Blades... ::)

Hope that helps!

Warhammer 40,000

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
I guess I posted the 2000 point list in the wrong spot.  Check the other thread.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »
Saw It Thanks Chase for the post Running a lot of Ideas around my head about it. Showed up at Abington today then remembered Trios Tournament in Plainville :( Noone to play with.