Author Topic: Super Heavies: A couple questions  (Read 853 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Super Heavies: A couple questions
« on: March 24, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
What defines a super heavy / gargantuan creature?

What is the point cost of the most expensive Baneblade variant?

What is the point cost of the most expensive Stompa variant?

What is the point cost of an "average" gargantuan creature?  What is an example of one?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: Super Heavies: A couple questions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
It's unit entry.  Super heavies have structure points.  Gargantuan creatures are just big and listed as such in their entry.  It can vary much like the Tyranids which had some models scaled back to be in their codex.

700 (I think) Yarrick's Fortress of Arrogance.

What is the point cost of an "average" gargantuan creature?  What is an example of one?
They can range from 400 up to 1250 I have seen.  An'ggrath, Heirophant, Squiggoth

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
Thanks, Rich.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »

What is the point cost of the most expensive Stompa variant?

Gargantuans and super heavies are defined on pages 91 and 92 of the Apocalypse base rule book.  Each have quite a few special rules.

There are 600 and 650 point variants on Stompas in the base Apocalypse book (Page 130 - 131), but I recall other variants on the theme.

The Fortress of Arrogance comes in at 846.  Wouldn't be shocked if there are others more expensive.  (I don't have Reload.)  Vanilla Baneblades start at 500.

The Tyranid Barbed Hierodule at 700 points (page 149 Apocalypse) and Orc Gargantuan Squiggoth at 600 (Page 134) might be 'typical'  gargantuans.

I'm thinking that 1500 points of superheavies and/or gargantuans, perhaps a bit more, would allow three vanilla models or two if they are beefed up a bit.  Very few players needed more than this.  There are also a few models like the Hierophant (1200 points) that might fit in alone.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
Cool.  Thanks, Bob.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
Super Heavy vehicles also function much more effectively than normal ones do.  For example, they can move at Combat Speed, and still be able to shoot all of their weapons, which can all be separate targets, should the shooter choose to do so.  Also, when they explode, there is a chance that the blast radius extends further than the normal 1d6, and be as strong as a Str 9 AP 2 hit.

Gargantuan creatures are just bigger Monstrous Creatures who have higher stats all around, and are immune to Instant Death effects.  I think they also roll an additional 1d6 for Armor Penetration, but I'm not sure.

It is also worth noting that neither of the two are affected by Psychic Powers of any kind that do not have a Str Value listed with the power.

I thought about posting something like this when you asked that question last night, Chase, but was way too tired to think clearly enough to put something this coherent together.  Hope this helps!
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70