Author Topic: Drop Pod landing on another drop pod?  (Read 1316 times)

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Drop Pod landing on another drop pod?
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »
So, I was down the store last Saturday, and I was talking with Rick and others on how I ran into people at tourney's who were taking multiple drop pod's, and how they would place the first one down and let it scatter. They would then take the next pod and place it on top of the one that had just landed and if they rolled a hit would get to place the pod where ever they wanted because of the drop pod's special rule.

Would it count as a dangerous terrain check? I asked him what the justification was for that and to show me in the rulebook to back his argument we couldn't find anything concrete. I like playing devil's advocate andwas more interested in the Nid codex at the time and applying the above rule to spore pods.

pg 95 of the little red book 5th paragraph. I quote (deep strike rules)"... They may not deep strike directly inside a transport vehicle or a building, which will count as impassable terrain as normal." and we all know what happens when a drop pod lands on impassable terrain pg69 marine 'dex "should drop pod scatter on top of impassable terrain or another model (friend or foe!) then reduce the scatter distance by the minimum required in order to aviod the obstacle."

If Rick's right I'll buy him a beer!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:33:46 PM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
Re: Drop Pod landing on another drop pod.. you know who you are!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
Inertial guidance only works if the unit scatters. If you roll a hit, the squad is toast.

Edit: well, as toast as a mishap allows.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »
dang.. you might be right!! on the scatter part,

but what about the "... They may not deep strike directly inside a transport vehicle or a building, which will count as impassable terrain as normal."

Does that mean when a pod hits and doesn't scatter on impassable terrain it's toast?

I think I owe Rick a beer!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:34:12 PM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: Drop Pod landing on another drop pod?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:07:57 AM »
when placing the next pod I am fairly certain that you can not target and otherwise untargetable spot.  Its like aiming the template at your own squad because its just inside range and hoping for a scatter onto enemy forces.

I would imagaine that when placing the second pod you have to nominate a spot clear of impassible or dangerous terrain.  In the given example an existing drop pod would fall under this description.  So, instead of mishaps or getting to place it, the player would just have to nominate a eligible section of the gaming surface.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Does that mean when a pod hits and doesn't scatter on impassable terrain it's toast?

Edit: well, as toast as a mishap allows.

Yep.  But the irony of all this is, is if you didn't purposely try to land on top of the first Drop Pod, and somehow scattered directly on top of it, Inertial Guidance would save you from it being "toasted".
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70