Author Topic: wanted to try 40k  (Read 1916 times)

gladiator7907

• Heroic Tier Level 2
wanted to try 40k
« on: September 02, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »
hi my names dave and id like to play 40k but i have a very low budget (<$100) and would like to know if thats enough to play. if not i heard a rumor that necromunda is like mordheim is to warhammer is 100 enough for that and is anyone able to teach me that? i can play almost any day except wednesdays

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
Re: wanted to try 40k
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:39:43 AM »
In short, no, I don't think $100 would be enough to start with, just from buying your basic boxes alone.  If you find a set, however, you usually get more for your money.  I'm not familiar with the race you're playing, but check to see if they have a "Battleforce" set available for it.  Most races have one of these sets, that come with a few units of troops, at least one vehicle, and maybe a commander.  In the end, you save at least $30-40, depending on the race you play.  Battleforce sets are traditionally $90, give or take, and will get you close to about 1000 points worth of an army.  Keep in mind though that it doesn't include the Codex or the Warhammer rule book, which are easily $30 each, at least.  And then to assemble and paint your mini's, that'll probably cost you about $20 to get the starting supplies you need.

I just picked up the game myself, and so far have spent about $500 total between the three Space Marine sets I have, the tools, the paint, the Codex, and a few odds and ends (ie - mini decorations).

If you're interested in trying Space Marines or Orks though, I highly recommend you pick up Assault on Black Reach.  It costs $75, and gets you close to $150 worth of stuff, between the mini's, a small version of the Warhammer rule book, templates, and dice.  I know said you were interested in playing Necrons though, so it's really up to you to weigh your options.

But definitely look into getting box sets if you can.  Those are the best and most cost efficient ways to build a 40K army.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:34:21 PM by Chase »
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »
If budgets are a concern, spread out your purchases. I can't afford to immediately drop $600 on an army, but I can buy a box or two a month.

You mentioned maybe trying Necromunda as a cheaper option. While the game is FANTASTIC, very few people play it. I can think of two in the community, myself included, that are even familiar with the rules. I'd stay away from it.

If looking to do this on the cheap side, I'd go with Ben's recommendation of the Assault on Black Reach box set. Its pretty easy to find someone to share the box with you and that cuts the cost a lot.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:36:47 PM by Chase »
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
I agree with Ian that Necromunda is not the way to go.
IMO wither <$100 is a point at which you can start collecting 40k depends entirely upon wither you think you may be able to spend another hundred or so in the next six months to a year (say when a tax return comes in or something).
If not I would probably save the cash. But if you think you may have more if you like the game in the future I think you can start on that level.

In addition to the idea of splitting black reach with someone a couple of other ideas come to mind.
If you are unable to split black reach with someone you may still be able to buy the book off someone for a few bucks in store credit. A few people have several copies.
Starting by purchasing only the codex for the army you want and reading though it is not a bad way to start either. It could give you some idea of wither you like the fluff of the game and give you a better idea of what questions to ask without much investment.
You will need an exacto/hobby knife (The store may be able to help you with extra blades from my leftovers for a bit, come to think of it I have a bent knife you could have), and some super glue. But you do not need to paint your models to start playing so you could put off paint and brushes and such until you have a bit more to spend.

As mentioned above the battleforce boxes can be a good choice for particular factions. Asking some of the more experienced players should help you determine if it is good for the faction you want to play. They are $90 so they might not be in your range right off, but you could look at the contents, then buy a squad or something that you will eventually add to the box along with the knife, glue, and a dice block to get started.

Another thing you might try is seeing if you can set up a 'learning game' and borrow someones second army (a lot of players have one) to get a feel for the game mechanics and better decide if it is something you want to pursue.

Hope that helps.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »
Several posts in this thread were modified, combined, or removed in an effort to keep things on topic.

edit: spelling
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

tcliff86

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 05:12:46 PM »
Hi Dave,

If you do decide to get the assault on black reach starter pack, and you want to start a space marine army, then I would be more then willing to pay for half the pack if I get the orcs.   At battleground the pack is $75 so it would only be $37 ish a piece (which leaves you with $60 out of your original $100 to get more units to bolster your new army).  you can have the space marines, rule book, dice, templates, and everything else that comes with it,  im just looking to bolster my ork army and help you get into the game  :).

post here if your interested
-Tim