Author Topic: Worth reading if you're one of the tournament types  (Read 1506 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

andalucien

• God
Re: Worth reading if you're one of the tournament types
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
Yeah that was a good article. 

One thing I liked about it was that he pointed out a few ways to hit units that are invisible.  I had thought that "Can only be hit by snapfire" meant that they couldn't be hit by anything that didn't roll to hit (and was thus capable of taking a snap shot) - I think that at some point during 6th edition, this interpretation was used in a GW FAQ to tell folks why certain types of abilities were unable to affect flyers.  But if things that auto-hit (like impact attacks) can hit invisible things, it at least throws a few "workarounds" out there.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

phasertech

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 04:20:21 AM »
I read his additional article on Lords of War, and it's something I agree with entirely. Only a small number of available Lords of War are actually balanced for competetive play, especially when you take Ignores Cover into account. I've already heard a few people mentioning bringing Baneblades and Warhound Titans and it concerns me. I want to play a fun army, not an army built specifically to deal with Lords of War. But at least narrowing them down until the options remaining don't completely ruin most armies makes it possible to still have fun, and the Maelstrom of War missions means that Lords of War will suffer from lack of ability to run around getting objectives. (read: Tyranids have almost zero invuln saves, so S10 AP1 Ignores Cover 7" blast = complete wipe of nids)

Just my 2 cents

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:23:37 AM »
The followup about Lords of War was great too.

Ignoring cover is certainly very good and probably problematic.  I'm interested to see how things shake out.

I certainly don't envy the guy or team who might be tasked with putting together a list of LoW that are "okay."  The amount of complaints / debate they'll have to endure will be... Large.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

coolrick5

• 6200 proxy points of Salamanders
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
You'll also have to take FW models into account too i think...some are broken, while other codexes (such as the Space Marines, who only have one LoW choice in the Games Workshop and it's a giant superheavy flyer) might actually need them. I know Forge World has three superheavy tanks just for the Space Marines that are all 500+ points
Due to some screwup in their gene-seed genetic radiation protection, all Salamanders are black...We're talking coal black, pitch black, hexadecimal code #000000, the missing word in the phrase "...as the void of space." That kind of black. With glowing red eyes.