Author Topic: Tau & Eldar  (Read 7497 times)

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Re: Tau & Eldar
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »
I've thought about the same thing with pathfinder's. I was also thinking giving them x3 ion rifles, overcharge on the first thing you fire at and cross your finger's.
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
You never seem to have a problem killing my destroyer lots, but I do like rolling lots of 1's for his saves and look out sirs. Wraiths are one of those units that has a 3+ invul, so you can get lucky and have most of them survive by virtue of them always getting a decent save, but it still is only 3+ so weight of dice should have no trouble taking them down.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
I've thought about the same thing with pathfinder's. I was also thinking giving them x3 ion rifles, overcharge on the first thing you fire at and cross your finger's.

They're just so delicate (lots of ignores cover, only a 5+ save, and lots of ignores cover is AP 5, much less is AP4) that anything you invest in special gear for them will quickly be lost.  That, and markerlights are more useful than just about anything else you can do. 

corporaptor primus

• Email
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »
How about Harlequins with a Phoenix Lord assaulting a flank?  Tau can remove cover but I'd think that due to the Halequins' veil of tears there's a chance that not all supporting units will be able to draw LOS and fire over watch on the Harlequins. The Phoenix Lord can tank the shots that do come.
Thoughts?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »
How about Harlequins with a Phoenix Lord assaulting a flank?  Tau can remove cover but I'd think that due to the Halequins' veil of tears there's a chance that not all supporting units will be able to draw LOS and fire over watch on the Harlequins. The Phoenix Lord can tank the shots that do come.
Thoughts?

If I'm not mistaken, LOS is generally not an issue for Tau.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2013, 07:44:27 AM »
Thoughts?

If I'm not mistaken, LOS is generally not an issue for Tau.

"Any unit wishing to target them must roll 2d6x2. This is their spooting distance in inches. If the models are not within spotting range, they may not fire that turn."

So...while SMS doesn't need LOS to fire, you still have to be able to legally target a unit.  VoT says nothing about Stealth/Shrouding/Night Fight/Cover/Blah, it specifically says "wishing to target".  Based on that, I would argue (even as the Tau player) that if I dont get that 2d6x2 range, I can't even target to fire.

Now, admittedly, it's still a best case scenario for me because your max charge range is 12" so all I need is 6+ on 2d6 to see you with each unit, depending on how close you are to each unit.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
Also, it would suck if the only way we figured how to beat "Eldar & Tau" was using an Eldar unit.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
Also, it would suck if the only way we figured how to beat "Eldar & Tau" was using an Eldar unit.
Thumbs up. :)

I started the topic hoping the other dozen or so codices could muster up a challenge. It's been my go-to thought-exercise for the past week.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »
Thoughts?

If you go 2nd, you'll likely lose that unit before you can cast VoT. If you put them in reserves and try to outflank, you won't be able to cast VoT the turn they come on. Risky I guess, but possible?