Author Topic: Upcoming events  (Read 2891 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Upcoming events
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »
There will likely be an Invitational this year. The idea is on the radar.

On our radar too looking ahead, 6th Edition has been out for nearly a year, and BG has yet to run a true 2000 point event. Initially, there was caution and concern with easing the community into 6th, coupled with very valid time concerns in parsing out rules in real-time. What I see now is a community that can handle those elements. I feel players have had reasonable time to consider and build their armies under this concept... and if not at this moment, then very definitely whenever this goes down.

That said, I would not expect 2000 points to ever be the "norm".

What's important to note is that not every BG event is geared toward being as competitive as possible. For now, that's for the GTs to concern themselves with. Sometimes, the BG aim is for something a bit more fun/ridiculous. That BG happens to attract an amazingly competitive crowd is just another phenomenon entirely. I chalk it up to Sam's sexed-up judging.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »
IMHO, the smaller the better.   2K games just take too long now that everyone is doing horde armies, and  with the loops of "17 wounds.  OK.  Look out sir it.. pass... armor save... pass... next one... look out sir it .fail... armour save... pass... next one... look out sir... pass... armour save...passs...."  blah blah blah

I think that the last  scuttlebutt i heard was that GW playtests at 1500.   But really, who cares.  Clearly they don't playtest MUCH at any level.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 07:08:11 PM »
I have been considering 1500 points for 4/20, but Jason has a strong point.

Hmm...
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
Instead of competitive I should say fair and balanced. Double force org really only works effectively for a few armies and for people that typically have tons of models for said army. For the most part with the less spammy meta I dont know many people who want more than the current forge org allowances
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 10:41:19 PM »
6 THUNDERFIRE CANNONS!!!!

We been in this boat before about the 2k point Double Force org crap. People are afraid of spam of units or that it only really helps out certain armies. If it does let them. I will admit Tyranids are probably the biggest spammers I seen recently as Is with 20 or something psychic powers in a single force org. Having Double Force Org is going to open possibilities if you don't want to use 2 fine then don't I would love to see a 2k Point Army with just loads of Fluff like Marneus Calgar, Tigurius, Sicarius, and Cassius as all their HQ Choices or maybe a List with Sammael, Belial, and Azrael. If I could Afford it I would run something silly if I could run it effectively. The people spamming units are the people who are being unimaginative and most likely don't have a good list to begin with.

Game On has run as far as I know 2 Successful 2000 point 40k Tournaments and have had no real issues with it. This is by word of mouth and not any documented source so take it as you will. 
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 11:23:09 PM »
Instead of competitive I should say fair and balanced.
Still doesn't apply to Warhammer. :/

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »
I love this argument of competitive or not. Apparently there is a huge difference of opinion on this simple concept.  There are those that love the competitive stuff and find 40k to be VERY competitive and then there are those that don't see 40k as being a competitive game.

As a person who goes to GT's and attends many local tourneys i find 40k to be a very competitive game, I enjoy the fight the most of the game. 

Understandably BG cant run every tourney for those like me but can we agree to disagree on the competitive argument as everyone has their nitch on what they enjoy in the game.

Now that I ranted a little I would like to see a 2k game but honestly at this point 1850 is fine in any setting as most all the big tourneys are doing. 

Lower point totals tend to be wishy washy especially do to allies and such, I'm in the boat of I like to play what I want to play lower point totals doesn't always allow that...
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing