Author Topic: Honor Guard (Or similiar unit) Question  (Read 425 times)

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
Honor Guard (Or similiar unit) Question
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »
Space Marine Honor Guard models come with power weapons in their wargear. they have an option that says "any model may take a relic blade for 15 points". (a relic blade is S: Always 6, I: User, AP: 3, and can NEVER benefit from the +1 attack from having 2 weapons)

notice that it doesnt replace the power weapon

honor guards also have boltguns AND bolt pistols

so now i have honor guards with boltguns, bolt pistols, power weapons, AND relic blades.

in 5th ed this wasnt a problem because in assault i could choose to make 2 attacks at strength 6 or 3 attacks at strength 4 (power weapon and bolt pistol)

the models are holding axes, but a relic blade and power weapon look identical

so what kind of power weapons are my honor guards carrying? it actually matters in 6th ed

Grand Master Steve

Re: Honor Guard (Or similiar unit) Question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »
the blades do not look super Ornate to me or overly large so i say they are power weapons of that weapon type.

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:45:17 PM »
thats what i was thinking after awhile

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:21:36 AM »
Lore Wise a Relic Blade is an Ancient Weapon usually 2-handed that holds special meaning to the chapter usually pre-dating or from the Horus Heresy. Relic Blades are not Necessarily Ornately designed as much as they have a special meaning to the chapter as say the Primarch might have used it in place of his normal weapon or it wounded a Great Daemon of Chaos. Vulkan's Spear is the Only GW Model with Relic Blade standard as his wargear. The only real Ornate Nature of it is the Salamander Chapter icon near the Blade. Anything else makes it look like it is a Normal Power Spear.  If your going to use this as the Basis the Only Honour Guard they make model wise you buy with Marneus Calgar. All the weapons there look pretty ornate and bear the Chapter Icon so they would most likely be a sort of Relic Blade but they don't have to be run as one if you don't take one.

What you got here is a case of WYSIWYG Imo. Whatever model you are using for an Honour guard Need to have 2 weapons if you have the Power Weapon and Relic Blade on it. Now I know Battlegrounds will make you say which type of Power Weapon your guy will have on the list. If you Include all your Guys with Swords on the Hip and Axes in hand and declare on your sheet they Have Power Swords your Relic Blades will be the axes. If your model does not have 2 weapons on there you have a Technically Illegal model and if brought against you (not Necessarily at Battleground but at any tournament.) most likely they will rule that you can only use Power Weapons since you didn't model the Relic Blades on there so whatever weapon they are holding will be the type of power weapon they will have.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com