Author Topic: What's next for the Blood Angels?  (Read 782 times)

Bruce Willis

• Email
What's next for the Blood Angels?
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:53:42 PM »
I (as many may know) have Blood Angels. I am struggling with creating an affective and offensive 2000 point list for them. I would like my list to be mostly vehicle based. I already have 1 Rhino transport and a Land Raider. So, as the title says, what's next? I would prefer if SM players are the ones giving the advice, but all ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Some main questions I have:

What do you think of walkers?

Rhinos, useful?

I would like to include a squad of Death Company, 2 5-man tactical squads, 3 5-man tactical squads, 2 5-man terminator squads, and of course Mephiston will lead the marines into battle. Thoughts?

Extra armor, thoughts?

[And], that is just about it, thanks ahead for all suggestions and whatnot.

Henry

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:57:30 PM by Bruce Willis »
"if all else fails: duck. As a defensive stratagem it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a moment or two."
-Lord Corvis of Petrax

Grand Master Steve

Re: What's next for the Blood Angels?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
Extra armor is a take or leave it deal in my opinion. rhinos are useful as are razorbacks. With Razorbacks you can combat squad your tac squads put the guys holding the heavy weapon on foot as a mini devistator squad and the guys with the assult weapon as like a with the sargent into the transport.

I would also take advantage of the Storm Ravens. They seem quite useful atleast on paper. I have yet to actualy see one in action though.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:40:44 PM »
If you want lots of vehicles, Predators and Baal Predators are one way to go. Lots of heavy firepower and Front Armor 13 can't be bad.

Stormravens can give some armies fits, by zooming around.

If you end up using Razorbacks as transports (and it's hard to deny their firepower), Steve's got the right idea about combat squading. Assault troops in, "mini-Dev" squad out.

Extra armor is a debate of personal preference. Some players like the bit of extra security in keeping the transports moving, others would rather spend the points on more weapons.

Most of the Dreadnoughts I see these days are running with two twin-linked autocannons and they generally sit on the backline as fire support. That's a solid, reliable option. I like Walkers.

With all that said, you should chat with Chris one of these Thursdays. He's been at Blood Angels for sometime now and I know he'd have very valuable insights for you.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 02:25:05 AM »
I have a tough time bothering with tactical squads when assault squads get such a nice discount on transports.
beep bop boop

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:37:03 AM »
From My experience Extra Armor only really useful on transport vehicles and Assaulting Walkers. The Dreadnought with Twin-Linked Autocannon is awesome for almost any situation with strength 7 it takes on most infantry and monstrous and does rather well against Transport Vehicles. The only Issue with the Twin-Linked Autocannon is getting the guns for them since its a conversion job I believe?

What type of Land Raider are you running and are you running anything inside it?
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 07:30:39 AM »
Extra armor is always a waste of points for blood angels when 15 points has so much better uses.

Dreadnoughts are good, I would note though, they compete for elite and heavy slots which are vital to many ba armies.

Stormravens are in my opinion more of a risk than a land raider since the lower armor and skimmer, but much higher potential with it's mobility and flexibility.

As Ian said, assault squads are much better than tactical squads for ba.  For one you get either doa or a discounted transport.  Another is the double assault weapon (meltagun cough cough). Oh and ba are at heart a close combat army, so why not be able to get a pistol shot then have 3 attacks at s5 i5 on a charge? Since, I mean, let's face it, you ARE running priests, no discussion of the matter.

Mephiston is very good, watch out early game, as he's got no invul.

Death company are cool, I'm not sure if I'm reading wrong or not, but do not put them in a rhino/razorback/deepstrike.  You want them in the action and assaulting, so a sr or lr is mandatory.

Other suggestions in general? Fast vindicators, flamestorm baals, a librarian with shield and blood lance or sanguine sword, assault terminators of either or mixed sorts, (if you run dc) the death co dread with talons in a drop pod (if I remeber right this is doable?).

Hope this helps a bit!
Tiger's Den founding member

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:21:52 AM »
net deck i mean net list ezpz

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
BA you want assault squads over tact squads.  Unless you are looking to stick an assault squad in a land raider or stormraven 6 man squads in razorbacks are good.

Razorbacks should be assault cannon razorbacks because you have a 36" threat range compared to tue 30" threat range of regular razorbacks. 

Stormravens are boss, don't listen to Goss about this.  The are a little more fragile than landraiders true but with PoMS you are looking at a 24" move with a multimelta or assault cannon shot.  Coupled with the fact you can fit 6 guys in jump packs plus a dread is just icing on the cake.

Death Company are a gimmick unit that usually become a big point dump.  They really should only be used to open up the DC dread option. Remember DC cannot claim objectives.

Meph is good, no doubt about that but with no invulnerable save, smart players would shoot him with Ap1/2 weapons and use a throw away unit to get him into combat.

With all that being said these are suggestions.  None of these are what you should do but should be used as a guideline for what YOU want to do.  It is your money and time here, do what you want.  BA take time to gt uses to and playing and figuring things out on your own might serve you better than asking what other people think are better.

Bruce Willis

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 11:29:35 AM »
Thanks.
"if all else fails: duck. As a defensive stratagem it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a moment or two."
-Lord Corvis of Petrax