Author Topic: Mega Battle Ready  (Read 3518 times)

Opforce3

• God
    • Email
Re: Mega Battle Ready
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 03:35:05 PM »
There's no reason you can't use GW stuff anywhere other than offical GW events. A guy took an all LOTR Orc army to the fantasy tournament at Gamesday and they refused to put pictures up because of New Line. We should be fine though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Doin' what I can with what I got."
-Burt Gummer

6/4/11 NEVER FORGET

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »
It is a gw model therefore accurate of a daemon and more than 50% gamesworkshop pieces (100% > 50%)

It's also a Lord of the Rings model.

I don't believe GW ever made the distinction.

Hm.  It appears the restriction is for Golden Demon and maybe White Dwarf photographs.  Carry on.

New Line Cinema had a thing about LotR figures not being used as part of GW's other products.  GW was forced to sign lawyer like papers saying this is a big no no.  You won't find anything in any GW rule book, article or internet spiel that in any way encourages folding LotR models into any other GW product.

That being said, they are solid models, fit with the games, are to scale, and I doubt very much that if we allow them any New Line Cinema lawyers are apt to find out about it.  I also don't know if any legal obligations get passed down to Derek as a seller of GW products.

Why you gotta be a troll with every regard to the megabattle?
Tiger's Den founding member

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
Why you gotta be a troll with every regard to the megabattle?

I put up some relevant information.  I care not a whit which way the decision goes.  If no one contradicts Opforce3's comments, I have no problem at all with use of LotR parts.  Neat models.  I don't see this as trolling.

On other questions, I try to provide positive ways to improve the game, to give the veterans with exotic collections a chance to play without training wheels while letting people with more conventional force mixes play against people with more conventional force mixes.  My next recommendation would be for the people who want to play on unlimited tables to say as much to Derek and Chase, and sufficient table space be provided that they not be disappointed.  I am not out to ruin anyone's experience with the game.

It is possible to create armies that match up very well against many opponents.  The all superheavy army is one.  An all doomsday device army might be another.  I'm somewhat dubious about the all terminator army.  Any force that spends the vast majority of its points on a single style of exotic model might count as extreme.  If any such army is very well put together and painted, my sense of way-cool-models will often trump my feeling that we should see more sportsmanship. An experienced player with an extreme army might somehow get himself positioned against an opponent that is also commanded by an experienced player, and who also might have a non-traditional force mix.  

I can respect the veteran player bringing wild and crazy stuff to the extent he is willing to take on other veteran players bringing wild and crazy stuff.

I believe the above position can be honorably held.  I have avoided emotion and personal attacks in presenting the above position.

If you have something positive to suggest that might ease such concerns, I'd be pleased to hear it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:33:08 AM by blantyr »

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
I'm somewhat dubious about the all terminator army.  Any force that spends the vast majority of its points on a single style of exotic model might count as extreme.
Isn't that Deathwing? I imagine there will be enough AP 1 and AP 2 and power weapons flying around, an all Terminator army isn't extreme whatsoever. It's hard to use the word "extreme" while there's a 5 foot Titan in the room.

Destroys Hunter-Killers

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
so... this thread was originally about how far away i am from mega battle why y'all desecrating my thread?

tits or gtfo
A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.

Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.