Author Topic: Possible for re-roll psychic check?  (Read 2175 times)

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Possible for re-roll psychic check?
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:22:38 PM »
My Bro was at Adepticon last weekend. During one of his battle's one of his opponent's asked him why he didn't take <unknown model> with his Battle Psyker's so they could re-roll or pass there psychic check.

My brother's like me, he like's to drink and doesn't remember the unit in question only that its from an inquisition codex. I looked through both codex's and couldn't find anything like this. The only thing I could think of was an Inquistor Lord attached to the unit and the use of the Iron Will rule. Going by memory the rule says he and any unit he joins can chose to pass all morale based checks.

This seems like a stretch to me, but the only thing I can think of. I havn't had a chance to look through the rulebook.

Any truth to this, or idea's on how this is possible?
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
Re: Possible for re-roll psychic check?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »
I can't think of any inquisition wargear that lets you re-roll psychic tests.

Also, psychic tests are leadership tests, not morale tests.

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
on the other hand, I don't have any of my books on me, I'll have to double check when I get home.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
No books here as well,

My only thinking is that a psyhic check is a leadership or a morale based test depends on wording.

But if that is true wouldn't the lord just use his iron will to cast the power without a check?

I'm gonna look as well if I can remember when I get home.

;D
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
An Eldar Variation on the Theme...
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »
I'm not a marine guy, but one might possibly make a case by the letter of the rule for Eldar.

Warlocks :  "Embolden:  The Warlock instills an unshakeable courage in his comrades, reaching into their minds with visions of mighty heroes and great victories.  The Warlock and his squad may re-roll any failed Leadership tests."  Eldar Codex, page 28, warlock powers.

"To use a psychic power successfully the psyker must pass a Psychic test, which is a normal Leadership test."  40K Core rules, Page 50, Psychers.

Letter of the rule, there is an argument that one might re-roll failed psychic tests.  A Psychic test is a Leadership test, and one may reroll Leadership tests.  If one looks at the fluff before the Embolden rule, I am very dubious that this would be the intent of the rule, but some claim "the fluff means nothing".  I have never used Embolden to justify re-rolled Psychic tests, and don't really intend to start, but am curious as to what folks think.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »
Just visited the Eldar FAQ....

Q.  If a Farseer joins a unit that includes a Warlock with the Embolden power, does he get to re-roll failed Psychic tests?

A.  Yes -- the presence of the Warlock obviously helps the Farseer to concentrate.

Marine players might look for similar rulings, but I would hope the same principle would apply to all armies.

I'm mildly surprised, but that's GW for you...

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »
Thank's Bob,

Just have to check tonight if Iron will is Ld checks or morale or both.

;D

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:55:42 PM »
Could you show the wording of Iron Will?  You have me curious.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:28:17 AM »
I looked last night, Sorry I do not remember the exact wording but Iron Will only applies to "morale" checks. Which I beleive are different than leadership check's

But this had me thinking on the way into work, again I will have to check when I get home tonight, that there might be something that let's you use leadership check's from another unit or model's. Something like the HQ banner or the commisar lord.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:34:09 PM »
I looked last night, Sorry I do not remember the exact wording but Iron Will only applies to "morale" checks. Which I believe are different than leadership check's

But this had me thinking on the way into work, again I will have to check when I get home tonight, that there might be something that let's you use leadership check's from another unit or model's. Something like the HQ banner or the commissar lord.

I believe 'moral' and 'psychic' would be two categories of 'leadership' tests, that leadership tests would be one or the other.

I kind of think the Eldar psychic re-roll was a mistake, that they used 'leadership' when they should have used 'moral' in the rule.  As the Marine codex is newer, I kind of wondered if they had learned from the mistake.

Ah, well.  Just curious.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »
It's actually the Guard codex not the marines.

I don't think Iron will would work because it specifically says morale check's. If it said leadership check's it would effect all leadership based check's i.e. psychic, morale, whatever else.

My brother specifically said re-roll psyhic check's which iron will would make it auto not re-roll. I'm leaning towards this having something to do with the banner veteran upgrade with guard HQ squad's.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
I looked in the guard codex last night, there doesn't appear to be anything that would allow you to re-roll leadership check's there are a couple of thing that let you re-roll morale check's.

So the big questions is a psychic check a morale check.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:24:42 PM »

No.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 12:50:25 PM »
I looked in the guard codex last night, there doesn't appear to be anything that would allow you to re-roll leadership check's there are a couple of thing that let you re-roll morale check's.

I'd agree with Rob.  No.

Many role playing systems have two characteristics -- such as Dark Heresy's Willpower and Fellowship -- which might be used to measure ability to use psi and ability to influence people as quite different things.  40K uses the same number for both, Leadership.  However, the psychic check and morale check, while based on the same number, do separate the two functions of the leadership test.  Something that effects either psychic or morale tests would not effect the other.  Something which effects leadership tests would effect both.

Or so I'd think.