Author Topic: Beginners  (Read 2973 times)

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
Beginners
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
So, I'm Jeff, I was at the store last Mon. while the Tournament was going on. I met most everyone who was there. I have a quick question/Request.

I was talking with someone (I can't remember his name, but he was cool.) who suggested that when myself and my roomate get our armies together we should line up a game. 2v2, each team would consist of one of the new players Kory (My Roomate) or Myself and each team would also have a veteran player who knows the rules, etc. This would help to keep the game evenly matched while learning how to play. The game would be 750 points each player/1500 points per team.

At a quick glance, Kory will have all the Tau included in the Battle Force. Which is...

Kory's Tau Army
1 Tau Crisis XV8 Battlesuit
6 Gun Drones
1 Tau Devilfish APC
3 Tau Crisis XV25 Stealth Suits
1 Markerlight Drone
12 Tau Fire Warriors
12 Kroot Carnivores.

Although I don't have the codex, I'm going to go ahead and assume that he can create a decent 750 point army with quite a few models left over. I'm a bit afraid of the amount of firepower he will have on the table. Being that his basic Fire Warrior rifles can glance a Rhino or Razorback with relative ease.

Now for my Army of Black Templars...

Jeff's Black Templar Army
25 Tactical Marines with mostly Bolters, two seargents with chainswords, Flamer x2 and Rocket Launcher x2.
5 Terminator Marines
1 Razorback
2 Space Marine Officers (The ones from AOBR)
1 Dreadnaught

I'm looking to grab the Space Marine Battle Force once I've worked my way up to $100 (aka, I will get 10% off on a purchase)

So my next purchases plan to be..
Some Scouts (Neophytes)
Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer
Drop Pod (Perhaps)
A Whirlwind
A Vindicator

So, as this post goes. I would like to see if anyone is interested in volunteering to be a cool person and organizing a time to get this game up and running to help us learn the game past reading the rule book. Likely we could get a couple of games in, perhaps a team swap after the first game. On a different table no less.

Also, I'm now taking advice for both Kory and I on where to go next for our armied. I'm thinking The Battleforce will be a good next purchase, but past that I'm up in the air.

Also... Space Wolf Death Claws, could I make them into Black Templars?

Thanks,
Jeff.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:04:13 PM by Passmod »
Imperial Fists
W: 1 L: 0 T: 0

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
Re: Beginners
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »
i can help you learn the rules, play a game, and stuff, but it would depend on what day you want to play (i can only make it on fridays, saturdays, and sundays)

Lady GaGa

• Heroic Tier Level 2
  • I want your love I dont wanna be friends
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »
I would be down for playing a game or two and showing you guys the ropes.  I'll be down there on saturday most likely just ask for Jake.

I won't tell you that I love you
Kiss or hug you
Cause I'm bluffin' with my muffin
I'm not lying I'm just stunnin' with my love-glue gunning

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »
1500 points per team would make for a quick game, which is good for learning the rules.

I'll be around on Monday for the league not sure about other time during the week.

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:29:13 AM »
Well, at this point I am *hoping* for a Saturday, although Kory's battleforce is not here yet, and the absence of that would definitely put a damper on those plans. Failing Saturday I think Monday would be the next best option. Although I should be there on Saturday for a game, even if Kory is not.

Thanks,
Jeff.
Imperial Fists

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
So, Kory will be getting his Battleforce by mail on Monday.

*As a disclaimer, as I told Derek. He bought his Battleforce on eBay before we knew about Battlegrounds. It was Scholars or eBay, the choice is pretty clear cut.

So, how about Monday around 4 or 5. We can just stay and watch the tournament again like last week. Maybe I will even compulsively buy things again like last Monday.

So.

Jeff/
vs.
Kory/

Any takers? I'll get my army list up here soon.
Thanks,
Jeff.
Imperial Fists

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »
Black Templar 750 Point Army List.

HQ Emperors Champion - 90PTS
VOW: Suffer Not The Unclean to Live.

Troops

5x Initiates @ 16pts each total of 80PTS + Missile Launcher @ 10 PTS
5x Initiates @ 16pts each total of 80PTS + Missile Launcher @ 10 PTS

5x Sword Brethren Terminator Squad @ 40PTS each total of 200PTS + Chainfists @ 5PTS each total of 25PTS, 1 Master Crafter Weapon @ 15PTS

1x Razorback @ 70PTS + Twin Linked Las Cannon @ 20PTS, Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter @10PTS
1x Dreadnaught @ 105PTS

Imperial Fists

Roughknight

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
Well, I see Jeff likes to speak for me here.  ;D

Anyways, I'm Kory, the one he keeps referring to and is patiently awaiting his Tau Battleforce to arrive as to get started into this.  I've skimmed through some topics here and I'm glad to see it's active here.  Too often I didn't get into hobbies because of the lack of others to interact with in said hobby.  Luckily Jeff found you guys and I'm pretty excited to get started.

Main reason my battleforce is taking so long is probably payment method, but hopefully it'll come soon, but if not, I'll most likely tag along with Jeff on Monday regardless to check the place out again and get a feel for the game, whether I get to play or watch.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone and having a good time.

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:24:40 PM »
Well, I see Jeff likes to speak for me here.  ;D

Anyways, I'm Kory, the one he keeps referring to and is patiently awaiting his Tau Battleforce to arrive as to get started into this.  I've skimmed through some topics here and I'm glad to see it's active here.  Too often I didn't get into hobbies because of the lack of others to interact with in said hobby.  Luckily Jeff found you guys and I'm pretty excited to get started.

Main reason my battleforce is taking so long is probably payment method, but hopefully it'll come soon, but if not, I'll most likely tag along with Jeff on Monday regardless to check the place out again and get a feel for the game, whether I get to play or watch.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone and having a good time.

Everyone, that is Kory.

Kory, this is everyone.

I'm so good at this.
 8)
Imperial Fists

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »
Hi I'm Kevin, 

I'm a 40k gamer.  There I admitted my addiction, now its time to give in to it!!!

Kory just a suggestions for you future purchases:  After your first game see what you liked to field, the Tau have access to alot of option for each role an army might try to fill.  Vespid are great fast marine poppers when combined with marker lights, but they tend to get roasted in combat.  Honestly, lost of fire warriors is always a solid choice.

As for anyone fight Tau as a space marine, don't fear the pulse rifle too much.  Str 5 is good but Ap 5 means that its only really scary to Nids and Orks, who tend to over whelm even if your get a few turns to light them up.  Also, drop pods are tuff for the tau to deal with, having someone so close with flamers or even the idea of a next turn assualt is scary.

If I'm ever around when you guys are down, I'm always will to help out.  For the record I have Tau, Noise Marines, and a more than needed amount of Orks.

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
So, Kory's army has been delayed and will not be here by Monday. Is anyone interested in helping us out by perhaps bringing in a Tau army for Kory to learn how to use?

It would be spectacular if someone was willing to do that, Kory is itching to play.
PM me or Roughknight if you are willing.

Thanks,
Jeff.
Imperial Fists

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »
So, is anyone interested?

In order to learn the game, Kory can use any army. If you would like to come help two new players learn 40k bring a spare army if you have one.

Around 4PM tommorow?
Thanks,
Jeff.
Imperial Fists

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:13:59 PM »
Any takers?
Imperial Fists

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 01:29:48 PM »
I wouldn't sweat it too much, man.  There's gonna be a bunch of 40k guys here tonight starting around 6:30ish I'd imagine.

I'm sure someone will be up for showing you guys the ropes.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Lady GaGa

• Heroic Tier Level 2
  • I want your love I dont wanna be friends
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
I'll be there at about 530-6 and will play.

I won't tell you that I love you
Kiss or hug you
Cause I'm bluffin' with my muffin
I'm not lying I'm just stunnin' with my love-glue gunning